Apr 21, 2012, 10:32 AM EDT
Seeing former Boston College star Chris Kreider get the sudden call to play in the New York Rangers’ first round series with Ottawa has been surprising yet tough on the kid. When Carl Hagelin was sat down with a three-game suspension, the Rangers had a dire opening in their lineup and Kreider got the nod. After playing 11:11 in Game 3, Kreider played just 3:29 in Game 4.
It’s tough being put in that position straight out of college, but Rangers GM Glen Sather tells Larry Brooks of the New York Post that he’s done it before when he was in Edmonton and knows it’s tough on the players.
“It’s a whole different mindset,” Sather says. “In Edmonton I brought Esa Tikkanen and Andy Moog in for the playoffs, but Tikk came from the top league in Finland [in 1985] and Moog was in the minors [in 1981].
“I can’t say enough about the way Chris is handling this. You can see how tight he is, but who wouldn’t be? It’s not for lack of effort.”
Kreider certainly isn’t Tikkanen and well, he’s not a goalie either. One thing that might happen for Game 5, however, is the return of defenseman Steve Eminger. If he comes back, Brooks says it’s possible John Tortorella goes with Stu Bickel on the fourth line and sits Kreider, a move Sather supports should it happen.
Kreider will be a big player for the Rangers eventually, but expecting him to be the savior now is asking a lot.
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 15
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 31
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 25
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 30
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)