Roy on Habs job: “I have had no discussions whatsoever with Mr. Molson, but my cellphone is always turned on”
Apr 21, 2012, 1:49 PM EDT
You can’t really say Patrick Roy has been campaigning for a job with the Montreal Canadiens. You can’t also say he’s been hush-hush about the rumors that the Habs might look in his direction to be either the next coach or general manager of the team either.
Roy tells Marianne White of Postmedia News that while he hasn’t spoken to Canadiens owner Geoff Molson, he’s not exactly avoiding him either.
“I have had no discussions whatsoever with (Habs owner) Mr. (Geoff) Molson,” Roy told reporters in Quebec City Friday during an end-of-season newser for the Quebec Remparts.
“But my cellphone is always turned on.”
Roy has made it clear that he’s more than happy to return to his job with the QMJHL Remparts, but if a NHL team wants to talk to him about a job opening there, he’s all ears. That is if his ears aren’t being plugged up by the Stanley Cup rings he’s won after all.
Whether Roy would be sought out to take Pierre Gauthier’s job as the team GM or replace Randy Cunneyworth as the coach is unclear, but with Serge Savard leading the search for new candidates for both jobs guys with a touch of old school Habs history to their style will be welcome.
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 15
- Your Lightning-Rangers Game 7 officials are… 1
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 43
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 12
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 45
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 9
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)