Roy on Habs job: “I have had no discussions whatsoever with Mr. Molson, but my cellphone is always turned on”
Apr 21, 2012, 1:49 PM EST
You can’t really say Patrick Roy has been campaigning for a job with the Montreal Canadiens. You can’t also say he’s been hush-hush about the rumors that the Habs might look in his direction to be either the next coach or general manager of the team either.
Roy tells Marianne White of Postmedia News that while he hasn’t spoken to Canadiens owner Geoff Molson, he’s not exactly avoiding him either.
“I have had no discussions whatsoever with (Habs owner) Mr. (Geoff) Molson,” Roy told reporters in Quebec City Friday during an end-of-season newser for the Quebec Remparts.
“But my cellphone is always turned on.”
Roy has made it clear that he’s more than happy to return to his job with the QMJHL Remparts, but if a NHL team wants to talk to him about a job opening there, he’s all ears. That is if his ears aren’t being plugged up by the Stanley Cup rings he’s won after all.
Whether Roy would be sought out to take Pierre Gauthier’s job as the team GM or replace Randy Cunneyworth as the coach is unclear, but with Serge Savard leading the search for new candidates for both jobs guys with a touch of old school Habs history to their style will be welcome.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 14
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 52
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)