Apr 21, 2012, 8:36 PM EDT
It’ll be an inevitable annual question until he’s not playing in the NHL any longer: is this it for Nicklas Lidstrom? While Detroit Red Wings head coach Mike Babcock said he would be “shocked” if Lidstrom hangs up his skates, the future Hall of Famer hasn’t been showing his hand. In fact, according to this Associated Press story, he might not actually know yet.
“I’m going to take a few weeks,” Lidstrom said. “I’m sure Kenny [Holland] wants to sit down and go over things as well. I’ll see what he wants to do and what timetable he’ll give me for me to make a decision.”
To some extent, he probably has a right to mull things over until the next free agent period begins on July 1. In fact, when you look at scenarios like Scott Niedermayer and Teemu Selanne experienced in twilight years with Anaheim, one could argue that he could even wrestle with the decision a bit longer.
On the other hand, the Red Wings need to put together a plan this off-season. Tomas Holmstrom might retire as well while another key defenseman (Brad Stuart) might bolt to California for family reasons.
That being said, a lot of Detroit’s plans will probably hinge on whether they’ll have Lidstrom around or not. Babcock’s succinct quote explains why they’ll probably be willing to wait:
“He’s too good to quit,” Babcock said.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)