Apr 21, 2012, 4:14 PM EDT
The NHLs decision to suspend Raffi Torres 25 games for his illegal hit on Chicago’s Marian Hossa is generating reaction from around the league, but it’s his own team’s response that was the one we were most curious about.
After all, we’ve seen the Rangers and Capitals speak their mind about separate suspensions to Carl Hagelin and Nicklas Backstrom, but would the NHL-owned Coyotes dissent against Torres’ lengthy ban? The simple answer is, “No.”
Coyotes GM Don Maloney released a statement on the Coyotes website saying both he and the rest of the organization agree with Torres’ suspension.
“I want to thank Brendan Shanahan and his staff for their thorough review of this incident,” said Maloney. “The ruling is very severe for Raffi and our Hockey Club. Raffi plays a hard, physical game yet this contact crossed the line on what is acceptable in our game today. We hope Marian Hossa makes a full and speedy recovery as we all enjoy watching him perform. The Club accepts the NHL’s decision and will focus on our game tonight.”
These words from Maloney are a lot more peaceful than his wild statements about how the reaction to Torres’ hit was akin to that of a guy that killed a bus full of children. Now if Torres can turn his attitude around as fast as Maloney has perhaps he can go about his career without any further controversy. Perhaps being ward of the league helped keep everyone’s opinions in check on this one in Phoenix.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)