Apr 21, 2012, 4:14 PM EST
The NHLs decision to suspend Raffi Torres 25 games for his illegal hit on Chicago’s Marian Hossa is generating reaction from around the league, but it’s his own team’s response that was the one we were most curious about.
After all, we’ve seen the Rangers and Capitals speak their mind about separate suspensions to Carl Hagelin and Nicklas Backstrom, but would the NHL-owned Coyotes dissent against Torres’ lengthy ban? The simple answer is, “No.”
Coyotes GM Don Maloney released a statement on the Coyotes website saying both he and the rest of the organization agree with Torres’ suspension.
“I want to thank Brendan Shanahan and his staff for their thorough review of this incident,” said Maloney. “The ruling is very severe for Raffi and our Hockey Club. Raffi plays a hard, physical game yet this contact crossed the line on what is acceptable in our game today. We hope Marian Hossa makes a full and speedy recovery as we all enjoy watching him perform. The Club accepts the NHL’s decision and will focus on our game tonight.”
These words from Maloney are a lot more peaceful than his wild statements about how the reaction to Torres’ hit was akin to that of a guy that killed a bus full of children. Now if Torres can turn his attitude around as fast as Maloney has perhaps he can go about his career without any further controversy. Perhaps being ward of the league helped keep everyone’s opinions in check on this one in Phoenix.
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 4
- Video: Canadiens honor long-time captain Saku Koivu 2
- Crosby back for Pens after missing three games with the mumps 1
- Comparing the shot differentials of all 30 teams 9
- PHT interviews Jim Nill, who’s ‘not surprised’ by Stars’ early-season struggles 2
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 3
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 8
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 24
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 5
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11