Apr 21, 2012, 10:05 PM EDT
After enduring a somewhat excessive round of criticism while struggling last season, Ilya Kovalchuk had a slightly under-the-radar bit of brilliance this year, scoring 83 points. While Adam Henrique and David Clarkson have given the New Jersey Devils a little more offensive depth in 2011-12, the buck still tends to stop at Kovalchuk and Zach Parise. After being shut out 3-0 to fall behind 3-2 in a first round series with the Florida Panthers, there are rumors swirling about Kovalchuk’s health.
Tom Gulitti presents the arguments.
- When asked about playing hurt, Kovalchuk simply said: “I’m good.”
- To bolster that claim, Kovalchuk played 25 minutes. As crucial as he is for the Devils, that certainly doesn’t indicate that he’s hurt too badly.
- That last point might be the key one. While Kovy was short with the subject, New Jersey coach
- Peter DeBoer gave an interestingly noncommittal response.
“You know what? Everybody this time of year is dealing with stuff,” DeBoer said.
So is Kovalchuk injured? We’re unlikely to find out the exact answer until whenever the Devils’ postseason ends. The answer seems to be “not enough” for now, though.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 8
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 44
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (44)