Apr 21, 2012, 9:17 PM EST
The last time the New Jersey Devils made it past the first round was 2007 and they are now just one loss away from prolonging that slump. After being largely regarded as the favorites in this series despite the seeding, the Devils have largely failed to impress. They took an early lead in Game 1, but since the Florida Panthers got their act together, they’ve been largely the better team. Game 4 on Thursday was the exception to that rule, but the Panthers bounced right back with this 3-0 victory.
Here’s some interesting notes:
- The Devils experimented with a number of different top line combinations in the third period. They went with a combination of Adam Henrique, Zach Parise, and Ilya Kovalchuk, before swapping Parise out with Alexei Ponikarovsky, and eventually going back to Parise, Kovalchuk, and Travis Zajac.
- The Devils’ penalties proved to be costly in this game. Florida’s Kris Versteeg netted a power-play goal and overall they served to occasionally disrupt any momentum New Jersey could get.
- Martin Brodeur was far from perfect, but he still managed to get 30 saves. At the end of the day, he wasn’t the biggest reason the Devils lost this game.
- Tomas Kopecky got credited with an empty net goal without the puck actually going into the net. He had a clear path to the net, but was hooked, so they gave him the goal. This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 27
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)