Apr 21, 2012, 9:17 PM EDT
The last time the New Jersey Devils made it past the first round was 2007 and they are now just one loss away from prolonging that slump. After being largely regarded as the favorites in this series despite the seeding, the Devils have largely failed to impress. They took an early lead in Game 1, but since the Florida Panthers got their act together, they’ve been largely the better team. Game 4 on Thursday was the exception to that rule, but the Panthers bounced right back with this 3-0 victory.
Here’s some interesting notes:
- The Devils experimented with a number of different top line combinations in the third period. They went with a combination of Adam Henrique, Zach Parise, and Ilya Kovalchuk, before swapping Parise out with Alexei Ponikarovsky, and eventually going back to Parise, Kovalchuk, and Travis Zajac.
- The Devils’ penalties proved to be costly in this game. Florida’s Kris Versteeg netted a power-play goal and overall they served to occasionally disrupt any momentum New Jersey could get.
- Martin Brodeur was far from perfect, but he still managed to get 30 saves. At the end of the day, he wasn’t the biggest reason the Devils lost this game.
- Tomas Kopecky got credited with an empty net goal without the puck actually going into the net. He had a clear path to the net, but was hooked, so they gave him the goal. This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 9
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 15
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 39
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 38
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)