Apr 21, 2012, 11:12 AM EST
Washington’s Dennis Wideman always gets a lot of guff for his seeming lack of defensive prowess. While he’s been a solid offensive-defenseman wherever he’s played, asking him to do the other half of his job has sometimes been a struggle.
After being on the ice for five of the seven goals the Bruins have scored in their first round series, Stephen Whyno of The Washington Times asked Wideman for his thoughts on his play and he believes there’s an explanation for everything.
“I think [Thursday] night, trying to jump up into the play, the pass [from Alex Ovechkin] was just a touch behind me,” he said. “If it was on, the we would have had a pretty tight in three-on-two or three-on-one kind of thing, so I maybe pushed it a little much there.
“Other ones, other goals, the OT goal, what do you do there? And then the other ones were just rebounds.”
Wideman summed up his play saying he was at his best in Game 4 while just trying to do his best in the first three games. That might not be much solace for Caps fans who have Braden Holtby to thank for covering up more than a few mistakes in the series. Saying they were “just rebounds” might give some of his teammates reason to pause though as not covering guys on rebounds is a team effort sort of thing.
For the most part, however, Wideman’s ill-timed appearances on the ice for goals have been minor blemishes for the Caps defense. They’ve played outstanding and have kept the Bruins as far away from Holtby’s net as possible and have limited the B’s top two lines to just one goal. That’ll do just fine, fellas.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 2
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (74)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)