Apr 21, 2012, 12:07 PM EDT
Nicklas Backstrom is itchy to get back on the ice for the Capitals this afternoon but he had some business to take care of ahead of that. He had some apologizing to do to his teammates.
Katie Carrera of the Washington Post reports Backstrom said he was sorry to his teammates for getting suspended for Game 4 thanks to his cross check to the head of Rich Peverley and is focused on moving ahead for today’s Game 5 in Boston. Backstrom kept his sentiments short.
“I apologized in front of everybody, so I’m just looking forward,” Backstrom said. “Life goes on. It’s a new game Saturday and you can’t really do anything else.”
Life is just a Beatles song for the Capitals’ top centerman and play maker. The Caps didn’t exactly miss out on having Backstrom in Game 4 as Braden Holtby held his ground shutting down the Bruins.
One thing the Caps chose not to do was go full-bore ahead with their offense. Without Backstrom and limiting Alex Ovechkin‘s minutes in the third period, the Caps opted to bar the door and go all out playing defense. It worked and now it’ll be worth watching to see how the Caps come back today with Backstrom ready to do his thing.
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 0
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 4
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 6
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 22
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 23
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 54
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)