Apr 21, 2012, 10:12 PM EST
The San Jose Sharks weren’t able to beat the St. Louis Blues once in the regular season…so I guess this playoff series was an improvement? The Sharks suffered a 3-1 loss Saturday and were eliminated after five games.
After years of disappointing playoff runs amid high expectations, the Sharks showed that if you take that those expectations away, they still won’t get very far. Naturally, a lot of the credit belongs to the Blues themselves, who did a very effective job of shutting down San Jose, but let’s focus on the team that’s season just ended…
What happened? The Sharks never really figured out the Blues’ defense or their goaltending. It didn’t matter if it was Jaroslav Halak or Brian Elliott playing between the pipes because both of them ended up with a sub-2 GAA against San Jose in this series.
What will they do about it? What more can the Sharks really do? Every summer they make significant changes to their roster in the hope of finally obtaining that elusive Stanley Cup. That being said, they don’t have a lot of wiggle room with their cap situation going into the summer. Short of blowing up the team or making a big trade, all the major players from their 2011-12 run should be back.
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 12
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 104
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 16
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (104)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)