Apr 21, 2012, 10:12 PM EST
The San Jose Sharks weren’t able to beat the St. Louis Blues once in the regular season…so I guess this playoff series was an improvement? The Sharks suffered a 3-1 loss Saturday and were eliminated after five games.
After years of disappointing playoff runs amid high expectations, the Sharks showed that if you take that those expectations away, they still won’t get very far. Naturally, a lot of the credit belongs to the Blues themselves, who did a very effective job of shutting down San Jose, but let’s focus on the team that’s season just ended…
What happened? The Sharks never really figured out the Blues’ defense or their goaltending. It didn’t matter if it was Jaroslav Halak or Brian Elliott playing between the pipes because both of them ended up with a sub-2 GAA against San Jose in this series.
What will they do about it? What more can the Sharks really do? Every summer they make significant changes to their roster in the hope of finally obtaining that elusive Stanley Cup. That being said, they don’t have a lot of wiggle room with their cap situation going into the summer. Short of blowing up the team or making a big trade, all the major players from their 2011-12 run should be back.
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 16
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 5
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 14
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 17
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 99
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)