Apr 20, 2012, 9:36 PM EDT
Saturday promises to be a very eventful day in the first round of the NHL playoffs. Boston and Washington will kick off the day with their 3pm ET contest. That series is tied at 2, thanks in no small part to the efforts of Washington goaltender Braden Holtby.
From there, New Jersey and Florida will start Game 5 of their first round series at 6:30pm ET. Martin Brodeur is coming off his record-breaking 24th career shutout.
Ottawa and the New York Rangers will start their contest at 7pm ET as they battle for the edge in their tied series. A half an hour later, the San Jose Sharks and St. Louis Blues will kick off their own Game 5. A Blues win on Saturday would allow them to eliminate the Sharks.
Finally, the Chicago Blackhawks and Phoenix Coyotes will start Game 5 of their series at 10pm ET. The Coyotes have a commanding 3-1 series lead after their 3-2 overtime win on Thursday.
For more details about Saturday’s contests, please check out the video below:
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 4
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 17
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 35
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 69
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 28
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte
- Play Video: Highlights: Kings beat Sharks, take series lead
- Play Video: Brown takes out goalie Niemi
- Play Video: Demers commits reckless penalty
- Play Video: Demers slashes Doughty, but no call made
- Play Video: Niemi robs Carter to preserve tie
- Play Video: Highlights: Wings take 3-1 series lead over 'Hawks