Apr 20, 2012, 8:05 AM EST
Sure, NHL hockey has slowly drifted back to a place where it’s a little easier to play “trap” hockey, but Chicago proves that sitting on a lead can still get you burned.
The Blackhawks have scored the tying goal with less than 1:30 minutes remaining in regulation time in three times in their first round series. So the obvious question is, do the Phoenix Coyotes have an issue with holding onto a lead?
If they do it’s a new phenomenon. During the regular season, the Coyotes were actually one of the best teams in the league when it came to winning a game after they established a lead through 20 or 40 minutes. With that in mind, these late comebacks should attributed to Chicago’s clutch play at least as much as they should be to any tactical mistake the Coyotes are making.
It would also seem a little silly to worry too much about Phoenix, seeing as they haven’t been fazed by Chicago’s dramatic comebacks. Of the three games Chicago sent to overtime with a goal in the final 1:30 minutes of the third period, Phoenix has still ended up winning two of them.
At this point, Phoenix is just one win away from advancing to the second round for the first time since they moved to Glendale. If that happens, they will probably be regarded as the underdog against whatever opponent they face, but the Coyotes shouldn’t be overlooked. Whatever issues they might have, they’re clearly compensating for.
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 7
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 4
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 10
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 17
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 99
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 16
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)