Apr 20, 2012, 4:00 PM EST
According to various sources, the fate of Raffi Torres won’t be decided today.
That’s the word from RDS’ Renaud P. Lavoie (and The Sporting News’ Sean Gentille), who are reporting the NHL won’t announce the results of Torres’ in-person disciplinary hearing with Brendan Shananan until “at least Saturday.”
The Torres-Shanahan meeting occurred on Friday at the NHL head office in New York.
TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports that Torres and Coyotes GM Don Maloney are flying back to Phoenix today and won’t be available for comment anytime soon.
“I would be shocked if there’s a decision from NHL today,” McKenzie tweeted. “Plus, I would suspect Shanahan will have to think long and hard on this one.”
This is the second time this postseason Shanahan has taken his time making a suspension announcement. The first was when the decision to ban Blackhawks forward Andrew Shaw was made roughly six hours prior to Tuesday’s Game 3 — despite the fact Shaw’s infraction occurred on Saturday and his hearing was on a Monday.
Should note the announcement’s timing has no real bearing on Torres’ availability for the remainder of this series. He’s been suspended indefinitely and, barring a shockingly light ruling, won’t play again in the opening round.
The Coyotes and Blackhawks resume their series on Saturday with Game 5 in Phoenix.
Update: The NHL has confirmed Torres’ ruling will be announced on Saturday.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 2
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 4
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 1
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 17
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)