Apr 20, 2012, 4:00 PM EDT
According to various sources, the fate of Raffi Torres won’t be decided today.
That’s the word from RDS’ Renaud P. Lavoie (and The Sporting News’ Sean Gentille), who are reporting the NHL won’t announce the results of Torres’ in-person disciplinary hearing with Brendan Shananan until “at least Saturday.”
The Torres-Shanahan meeting occurred on Friday at the NHL head office in New York.
TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports that Torres and Coyotes GM Don Maloney are flying back to Phoenix today and won’t be available for comment anytime soon.
“I would be shocked if there’s a decision from NHL today,” McKenzie tweeted. “Plus, I would suspect Shanahan will have to think long and hard on this one.”
This is the second time this postseason Shanahan has taken his time making a suspension announcement. The first was when the decision to ban Blackhawks forward Andrew Shaw was made roughly six hours prior to Tuesday’s Game 3 — despite the fact Shaw’s infraction occurred on Saturday and his hearing was on a Monday.
Should note the announcement’s timing has no real bearing on Torres’ availability for the remainder of this series. He’s been suspended indefinitely and, barring a shockingly light ruling, won’t play again in the opening round.
The Coyotes and Blackhawks resume their series on Saturday with Game 5 in Phoenix.
Update: The NHL has confirmed Torres’ ruling will be announced on Saturday.
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 3
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 6
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ 45
- Report: Islanders were sold for $485 million 8
- Scrivens believes Oilers are ‘starting to build winning habits’ 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)