Apr 20, 2012, 4:00 PM EDT
According to various sources, the fate of Raffi Torres won’t be decided today.
That’s the word from RDS’ Renaud P. Lavoie (and The Sporting News’ Sean Gentille), who are reporting the NHL won’t announce the results of Torres’ in-person disciplinary hearing with Brendan Shananan until “at least Saturday.”
The Torres-Shanahan meeting occurred on Friday at the NHL head office in New York.
TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports that Torres and Coyotes GM Don Maloney are flying back to Phoenix today and won’t be available for comment anytime soon.
“I would be shocked if there’s a decision from NHL today,” McKenzie tweeted. “Plus, I would suspect Shanahan will have to think long and hard on this one.”
This is the second time this postseason Shanahan has taken his time making a suspension announcement. The first was when the decision to ban Blackhawks forward Andrew Shaw was made roughly six hours prior to Tuesday’s Game 3 — despite the fact Shaw’s infraction occurred on Saturday and his hearing was on a Monday.
Should note the announcement’s timing has no real bearing on Torres’ availability for the remainder of this series. He’s been suspended indefinitely and, barring a shockingly light ruling, won’t play again in the opening round.
The Coyotes and Blackhawks resume their series on Saturday with Game 5 in Phoenix.
Update: The NHL has confirmed Torres’ ruling will be announced on Saturday.
- PHT Morning Skate: Two top scoring duos collide in Ducks vs. Stars 0
- Pressing Question: Can the Sharks get over past playoff hurdles? 2
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 8
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 7
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 37
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)