Apr 20, 2012, 11:39 AM EDT
It’s another talented group of offensive stars, reminiscent to last year’s trio of forwards nominated for the award: San Jose’s Logan Couture, New York Islanders’ Michael Grabner and Carolina’s Jeff Skinner, the eventual winner.
Here’s quick rundown of the case for each of the 2012 nominees…
– Henrique holds the distinct advantage of contributing to a playoff team. His play after injuries to Travis Zajac and Jacob Josefson sparked the Devils, including his veteran linemates on New Jersey’s top unit — Zach Parise and Ilya Kovalchuk. New Jersey finished with 102 points, tied with Boston and Detroit for seventh-most in the NHL.
– Landeskog received huge praise for being the most complete player in this year’s rookie class, which included a verbal Calder vote from Canucks head coach Alain Vigneault.
“He’s the best rookie in the league this year,” the Vancouver coach said in late March. “In my mind, there are some other good rookies but he plays like a man right now and has a lot of skill to back it up.”
– Many have suggested Nugent-Hopkins would be the runaway winner if not for his shoulder injuries. They cost him 20 games in the second half of the season — prior to that, he won the Rookie of the Month award twice and became the fourth-ever 18-year-old in NHL history to record five assists in a single game.
So, let’s put it to a vote…
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 3
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 35
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)