Apr 20, 2012, 9:30 AM EDT
Jordin Tootoo has been limited to all of 6:04 minutes of playing time in Nashville’s first round series. He’s spent three of their four playoff games in the press box. What has been the Predators’ rationale for that?
“I was told that my play towards the end of the season was awful and they got to go with the guys that are going (well),” Tootoo said. “Inconsistency I guess.”
Tootoo thinks the way to get out of that slump is to play through it, but the Predators have thus far been unwilling to do that. It’s hard to blame them, the playoffs aren’t the time to let someone work through a cold streak. However, Tootoo sounds well beyond the point of frustration.
“You can practice all you want, but at the end of the day it’s about playing the games and showing up and doing the right things and just being a professional about it,” Tootoo said. “For me, (expletive), you can only get bag-skated so much and mentally it’s (expletive), it’s straining, it’s frustrating.”
For his part, Predators coach Barry Trotz said that Tootoo has been working hard during practice. Tootoo is still an option, but who knows how long it’ll be before he’s used again. For Tootoo, waiting seems to be a difficult task at this point.
“When you get shut down and told you’re not playing, it (expletive) burns,” Tootoo said. “After doing everything right, it just (expletive). … I’m (ticked) off because I’m not able to do what I love to do and that’s playing the game.”
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 17
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)