Apr 20, 2012, 9:30 AM EDT
Jordin Tootoo has been limited to all of 6:04 minutes of playing time in Nashville’s first round series. He’s spent three of their four playoff games in the press box. What has been the Predators’ rationale for that?
“I was told that my play towards the end of the season was awful and they got to go with the guys that are going (well),” Tootoo said. “Inconsistency I guess.”
Tootoo thinks the way to get out of that slump is to play through it, but the Predators have thus far been unwilling to do that. It’s hard to blame them, the playoffs aren’t the time to let someone work through a cold streak. However, Tootoo sounds well beyond the point of frustration.
“You can practice all you want, but at the end of the day it’s about playing the games and showing up and doing the right things and just being a professional about it,” Tootoo said. “For me, (expletive), you can only get bag-skated so much and mentally it’s (expletive), it’s straining, it’s frustrating.”
For his part, Predators coach Barry Trotz said that Tootoo has been working hard during practice. Tootoo is still an option, but who knows how long it’ll be before he’s used again. For Tootoo, waiting seems to be a difficult task at this point.
“When you get shut down and told you’re not playing, it (expletive) burns,” Tootoo said. “After doing everything right, it just (expletive). … I’m (ticked) off because I’m not able to do what I love to do and that’s playing the game.”
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 13
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 7
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 36
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 4
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 6
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)