Apr 20, 2012, 10:23 PM EDT
Jordan Staal is known primarily for his defensive abilities, but in a series that has been much more offensively-oriented, he’s still made his presence known. Staal had a hat trick on Wednesday and contributed another goal and assist in Friday’s 3-2 victory.
Overall, he has six goals and nine points in this series — which is one more than Sidney Crosby. Staal has also been one of the Penguins’ more disciplined players, having accumulated just two penalty minutes in the wild series.
Staal is a great all-around talent and his offensive abilities have been somewhat underrated, due in part to his injury-shortened 2010-11 and 2011-12 campaigns. He was a big part of the Penguins’ first Cup run and if they manage to get past the Philadelphia Flyers, it will be due in no small part to his contributions.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 31
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)