Apr 20, 2012, 10:23 PM EST
Jordan Staal is known primarily for his defensive abilities, but in a series that has been much more offensively-oriented, he’s still made his presence known. Staal had a hat trick on Wednesday and contributed another goal and assist in Friday’s 3-2 victory.
Overall, he has six goals and nine points in this series — which is one more than Sidney Crosby. Staal has also been one of the Penguins’ more disciplined players, having accumulated just two penalty minutes in the wild series.
Staal is a great all-around talent and his offensive abilities have been somewhat underrated, due in part to his injury-shortened 2010-11 and 2011-12 campaigns. He was a big part of the Penguins’ first Cup run and if they manage to get past the Philadelphia Flyers, it will be due in no small part to his contributions.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 40
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (56)