Apr 20, 2012, 10:23 PM EST
Jordan Staal is known primarily for his defensive abilities, but in a series that has been much more offensively-oriented, he’s still made his presence known. Staal had a hat trick on Wednesday and contributed another goal and assist in Friday’s 3-2 victory.
Overall, he has six goals and nine points in this series — which is one more than Sidney Crosby. Staal has also been one of the Penguins’ more disciplined players, having accumulated just two penalty minutes in the wild series.
Staal is a great all-around talent and his offensive abilities have been somewhat underrated, due in part to his injury-shortened 2010-11 and 2011-12 campaigns. He was a big part of the Penguins’ first Cup run and if they manage to get past the Philadelphia Flyers, it will be due in no small part to his contributions.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 19
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)