Apr 20, 2012, 10:40 AM EDT
Through the first three games of their playoff series against New Jersey, the Florida Panthers’ power play enjoyed great success scoring against the league’s top-rated penalty kill.
Then Jason Garrison got hurt, and everything went south.
Okay, so that might be too simplistic an explanation — the Devils deserve some credit for going a perfect 6-for-6 on the PK — but the loss of Garrison was crucial. Just ask Panthers forward Stephen Weiss.
“We not only missed Jason on the power-play … we missed him, period,” he told NHL.com. “Not just on the power-play, but five-on-five and on the penalty kill, as well. He’s a big part of our team.”
Prior to Game 4, the Panthers PP was clicking an at absurd 60 percent clip thanks in large to Garrison, nicknamed “Boom Boom” because of his gigantic point shot. He finished second among all defensemen in power play goals (nine) this year — only Nashville’s Shea Weber had more — and was a big reason why Florida finished the regular season with the NHL’s seventh-best PP.
Losing Garrison also exposed Florida’s lack of depth on the blueline. Keaton Ellerby replaced him in the lineup, playing his first game since Mar. 15, and took a high-sticking penalty that led to New Jersey’s opening — and eventually game-winning — goal.
Ellerby then left the game midway through the second period after taking a hit from Devils forward Stephen Gionta, appearing to hurt his left leg on the play. The Panthers finished with just five defensemen with Brian Campbell playing over 27 minutes.
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 21
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 12
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 40
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 46
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 26
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- PBT Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- Play Video: Highlights: Sharks take critical Game 3 in OT
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams
- Play Video: Toffoli gets Kings on the board
- Play Video: Sharks take advantage of early penalty
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal