Apr 20, 2012, 10:08 PM EDT
On Wednesday, the Pittsburgh Penguins beat the Philadelphia Flyers through brute force. Friday’s 3-2 victory over the Flyers required a more disciplined effort. Pittsburgh still took some bad penalties, but overall they were solid defensively and responded nicely during Philadelphia’s final push. Philadelphia still has two more chances to eliminate the Penguins, but they have to be feeling the pressure now.
Here’s some interesting notes:
- Despite being down a goal through 40 minutes, the Flyers didn’t come out particularly strong in the third period. However, they did manage to put more pressure on Marc-Andre Fleury as the minutes ticked away.
- Philadelphia has tied its franchise record for the most power-play goals in a single series.
- The Penguins and Flyers have scored a combined 23 goals in the first periods of this series. That’s more goals than any other series had in total going into Friday.
- The team that’s scored first has yet to win a game in this series
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 2
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 4
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 2
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 14
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 34
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)