Apr 20, 2012, 10:08 PM EDT
On Wednesday, the Pittsburgh Penguins beat the Philadelphia Flyers through brute force. Friday’s 3-2 victory over the Flyers required a more disciplined effort. Pittsburgh still took some bad penalties, but overall they were solid defensively and responded nicely during Philadelphia’s final push. Philadelphia still has two more chances to eliminate the Penguins, but they have to be feeling the pressure now.
Here’s some interesting notes:
- Despite being down a goal through 40 minutes, the Flyers didn’t come out particularly strong in the third period. However, they did manage to put more pressure on Marc-Andre Fleury as the minutes ticked away.
- Philadelphia has tied its franchise record for the most power-play goals in a single series.
- The Penguins and Flyers have scored a combined 23 goals in the first periods of this series. That’s more goals than any other series had in total going into Friday.
- The team that’s scored first has yet to win a game in this series
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 11
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 14
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 33
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25