Discussion: Penguins beat Flyers, extend series yet again

Apr 20, 2012, 10:08 PM EDT

PITTSBURGH, PA - APRIL 20: James Neal #18 of the Pittsburgh Penguins handles the puck against Andreas Lilja #6 of the Philadelphia Flyers in Game Five of the Eastern Conference Quarterfinals during the 2012 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs at Consol Energy Center on April 20, 2012 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. (Photo by Justin K. Aller/Getty Images) Getty Images

On Wednesday, the Pittsburgh Penguins beat the Philadelphia Flyers through brute force. Friday’s 3-2 victory over the Flyers required a more disciplined effort. Pittsburgh still took some bad penalties, but overall they were solid defensively and responded nicely during Philadelphia’s final push. Philadelphia still has two more chances to eliminate the Penguins, but they have to be feeling the pressure now.

Here’s some interesting notes:

• Despite being down a goal through 40 minutes, the Flyers didn’t come out particularly strong in the third period. However, they did manage to put more pressure on Marc-Andre Fleury as the minutes ticked away.
  • Philadelphia has tied its franchise record for the most power-play goals in a single series.
  • The Penguins and Flyers have scored a combined 23 goals in the first periods of this series. That’s more goals than any other series had in total going into Friday.
  • The team that’s scored first has yet to win a game in this series
This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
  1. bobhpine - Apr 20, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Uh oh…. Hey which one of you flyers fans said he would commit suicide if the flyers blow this…don’t do it man…I don’t mind paying for your welfare for you to keep watching your pathetic team disappoint you again and again

• westernpaisdirty - Apr 20, 2012 at 10:54 PM

What is the series total right now?? Oh that’s right the Flyers are up 3-2 I forgot. The way I read all these. Immense I thought the penguins were ahead In the series. I’m sure your response will be about momentum or that the Flyers are nervous. Hey if that is what you need to do to give yourself hope go ahead. Realistically you have a better chance of seeing God than you do this series going back to Pittsburgh!!

• lameasish - Apr 20, 2012 at 10:59 PM

you must have seen god when you came back from 3-0 then, whats he look like?

• westernpaisdirty - Apr 20, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Two totally different series and different teams. The flyers had some bad luck in all three of the losses to the bruins. 5-4, 3-2, 4-1. They were never dominated by the bruins like the penguins have been. They never lost their cool and started trying to hurt star players like the penguins. I’ve never seen a team so blatantly try to hurt star players S the penguins in this series. Very disappointing. I’m not even that big of a hockey fan but this is a disgrace. When Sidney Crosby gets that final blow to the head, the one that ends his career, it will be a result of karma. I’m not wishing it on him but what comes around goes around. Playoff hockey is great but intentionally try to throw elbows at the head of a guy that missed twenty games is repulsive.

• bmscalise - Apr 20, 2012 at 11:23 PM

The Pens haven’t had any bad luck? Good lord – they’d be the one’s up 3-2 if not for the worst non-call on an offsides in the history of the game.

Philly is up for two reasons:
        1) the worst call of the playoffs and
        2) the best PP I’ve ever seen. Let’s note that the Flyers haven’t scored an even-strength goal since game 3.

2. aglumac - Apr 20, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Current Flyer excuse, “We wanted to win it infront of the home fans.”

• eigglesnosuperbowls - Apr 20, 2012 at 10:21 PM

This thread should be titled malkin gets away with shoulder to head shot, YET AGAIN !

• aglumac - Apr 20, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Should be titled New Olympic Diving Team, headed by Braden Schenn and Danielle Briere

• eigglesnosuperbowls - Apr 20, 2012 at 10:47 PM

When the Fly Guys wrap this thing up Sun and win series 4-2 everyone will look back and realize this seriers was never in doubt Iam gona make a samich with french fries on it and throw it in the trash ! HAHAHAHAHAhAhahAhahah WHOOOOOOOHAAHAhAhahahahah!

3. pacoj68 - Apr 20, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Talk your garbage Flyer fans. Talk your garbage. That’s all you guys are good for. Rejects!

• westernpaisdirty - Apr 20, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Read the posts it’s penguin fans talking garbage. I’m sorry I forgot you are from western Pa. Have someone read the posts to you and you’ll see that. I know most of you aren’t really bright. The series is still 3-2 isn’t it? You do understand you are behind right?

• bmscalise - Apr 20, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Irony, thy name is “westernpaisdirty.”

4. bleed4philly - Apr 20, 2012 at 10:16 PM

If we blow a 3-0 lead to the penguins I will be on suicide watch.

• crosberries - Apr 20, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Can’t wait to hear about it on the news

• westernpaisdirty - Apr 20, 2012 at 11:03 PM

That comment sums up not only your team but your scumbag fans. Even said in jest that is ridiculous. I’m guessing all the iron city beer at eight in the morning has killed most of your brain cells. When the penguins leave Philadelphia Sunday after another beat down I’m sure you’ll go right back under your rock but I highly doubt you’ll be on this blog.

• crosberries - Apr 20, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh you should join him and that’s not a jest

• ravenscaps48 - Apr 20, 2012 at 10:27 PM

1-800-273-8255…. I don’t think You’ll lose… But… Here’s the U.S. Suicide Hotline Number just in case

5. bloggersarenotjournalists - Apr 20, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Seed of doubt creeping in for the Flyer fans while a ray of hope opens for the Pens

Need a game 7 because it would be just too awesome to watch.

6. ndrdog - Apr 20, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Nice little temper tantrum at the end of the game for Claude Giroux destroying his stick on the frame of the net. It’s too bad he couldn’t muster that much intensity during the game. I’m glad my little children were sleeping and didn’t have to watch that childish display at the end of a hockey game. Way to keep it classy Philly!

• dmfc1112 - Apr 20, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Aww, what a great parent you are. Keep your kids away from a man who takes his frustrations out on an inanimate object but tell him what character it is to go headhunting. Good job, Dad.

• ndrdog - Apr 21, 2012 at 6:06 PM

pens5829 – with dmfc1112 it’s not drinking that’s the problem it’s basic stupidity. If you need proof – he is a fan of the Philadelphia Cryers hockey club. Is that enough for you?

• pens5829 - Apr 20, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Hartnell’s a punk. Always has been.

7. ziggy7358 - Apr 20, 2012 at 10:22 PM

lol ….look at all the cockroaches coming out talking now … was quiet for a week lol lol lol

8. ravenscaps48 - Apr 20, 2012 at 10:24 PM

I will be keeping a Kris Letang Cross Check/Slash/Spear Tally Chart for the Next Game on Sunday… Over/Under 20… If you guess the exact number, you’ll win Three American Dollars

• pens5829 - Apr 20, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Keep a Filly Flop chart while you’re at it.

• ravenscaps48 - Apr 20, 2012 at 11:30 PM

I will as a matter of fact! Thanks for the suggestion!

• crashtheboards55 - Apr 20, 2012 at 10:52 PM

I already have a running total going for headshots from hartnell. 5 in that game alone. That isn’t even counting the run he took at just about everyone in the last minute of the game. I just want to see him square up one time legally and try to resemble a man. I doubt it will ever happen. Until then we can only hope he spontaneously combusts into a steaming pile of sh!t and goldilocks.

9. penzfan329 - Apr 20, 2012 at 10:24 PM

hey how about no high sticking in the first. led to a flyers goal so cry me a river with no malkin penalty

10. lameasish - Apr 20, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Imagine if Crosby did what giroux did at the end of the game. Perfect example of the unfair treatment he receives. Either way though, I want it to go to 7 just so I get to watch more of this, what a great series, I f-ing love playoff hockey!!, how is this sport no more popular?

• dmfc1112 - Apr 20, 2012 at 10:34 PM

UNfair??? haha. Yeah, because being the face of the league is horrible!, Damn Media!! HOw dare you say how perfect “sid the kid” is. On another note. If I were a Pens fan I’d be worried to wake up tomorrow and hear on the news how Sidney woke up with another headache.

• lameasish - Apr 20, 2012 at 10:47 PM

when did i say he was perfect? this will be a post you read in the morning and will say to yourself “damn i was drunk, should not have typed that” dont worry though dude, ive done that a ton of times lol, hell..im drunk right now

11. benzoids - Apr 20, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Good game Flyer fans! So happy that we get to see at least one more! Good luck on Sunday:)

12. bobhpine - Apr 20, 2012 at 10:31 PM

This is awesome…flygirls complaining about refereeing after they got every call…it’s never a loss, just a poorly officiated game…it must suck to have the whole world against you…wahhhh

• sweezz - Apr 20, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Wait…. every call? Like when Malkin crahsed into Bryz? Yeah, didn’t see that one.

• pens5829 - Apr 20, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Did you miss the Coburn trip inside of 2 minutes?

• crashtheboards55 - Apr 20, 2012 at 10:56 PM

hartnell laid on fleury every chance he had.

13. dgbk - Apr 20, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Why do ppl complain about refs missing calls or “letting them play” it’s a part of every sport. Until I see a ref skate and knock a puck in, there should be no excuses for either side in this series.

• aglumac - Apr 20, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Ya when a teams power play is clicking at 60% and they cant buy an even strength goal the refs and their call and lack of calls have zero impact.

14. spavs412 - Apr 20, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Boom I still believe :)

15. ray2013 - Apr 20, 2012 at 10:41 PM

I grew up during the Battle of Alberta, but I never heard talk of suicide when one or the other lost. Not funny. There’s always next year!

16. haleyistheman00 - Apr 20, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Lol penns fans are funny. Flyers will win in either 6 or 7. Penns will not win 4 straight sorry penguins fans.

17. chasemutley - Apr 20, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Stop it. There is 0.0% chance that the flyers blow this. Get your shots in now, Pens fans; it’s only a matter of time until you are eliminated and are forced to go back to whining about the game 1 non-offsides call again.

• pens5829 - Apr 20, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Whining about a blatant offsides? Feeling the pressure knowing you really lost game 1?

18. sweezz - Apr 20, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Where the hell were these Penguin fans when we were up 3-0? Oh that’s right……. fair weather.

• lameasish - Apr 20, 2012 at 10:50 PM

not many philly fans….

19. bobhpine - Apr 20, 2012 at 10:48 PM

When did you play tonight? We guy

20. myvickinabox14 - Apr 20, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Its nice that the penns got to win one at home. Yay, we get trolling for two more days. See y’all on Sunday. Penns suck

21. chasemutley - Apr 20, 2012 at 10:58 PM

I think you meant ‘we gay’ but accidentally put ‘we guy’.

22. Stiller43 - Apr 20, 2012 at 11:22 PM

Pens were up in the 3rd in game 1 and 2 and won 4 and 5…this could be the pens series in 5…too bad.

23. jr50ru - Apr 20, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Malkin is the biggest disgrace on the Penguins, twice as bad as Crosby. He is an embarresment to the entire league. He is constantly taking cheap shots out of frustration like a 2nd grade kid, yet he will never ever drop the gloves. If your gonna play like that atleast answer the bell. Can’t wait to see the Penguins get exposed for who they truly are again this Sunday. Go Flyers!!!!!

• pens5829 - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Kinda reminds you of Hartnell. Doesn’t it? Except when Geno does fight, he doesn’t yell “he pulled my hair (insert whine)” like a little girl.

• jr50ru - Apr 21, 2012 at 11:38 PM

umm…I don’t think Malkin has ever fought sir, so no…he by no means compares to Hartnell. Two totally different types players. Malkin is in his own league when it comes to being a pansy, way beyond everyone else

24. puckyouall - Apr 20, 2012 at 11:25 PM

THAT’S TWO!

25. philly4lyfe - Apr 20, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Call me crazy, but given how closely this series has been scrutinized, don’t you think if hartnell took 5 runs at people’s heads as you claim (plus whatever your total count for the series is), it would have been mentioned by now? Wouldn’t pht gave already written 5 stories in 3 days and he definitely would have gotten a call from shannahon by now if he’s taken as many blatant runs to hit people in the head as you claim?

• crashtheboards55 - Apr 21, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Obviously you didn’t watch the game. In the first period he hit michalek in the head going into the corner. He rammed Tyler Kennedy’s head into the boards from behind when kennedy took the penalty for slashing. He went to the head on Letang twice on PP oppurtunities and at the end of the game he hit michalek in the head again. He also “landed accidently” on fleury during two PP’s. Hit him in the head both times. Watch the game again. He takes shots at everyone and he runs like a little b**** afterwards. I have friends who are Flyer fans who won’t defend him or his actions. The same way I didn’t for Neal and Asham. The bigges difference is that Hartnell is cowardly and does things behind the play and when others aren’t looking.

26. pkswally024 - Apr 20, 2012 at 11:41 PM

I love it when keyboard warriors bash people online, as in a fan base. Get a life troll.

27. rehmer2389 - Apr 20, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Oh I’m sorry. I didn’t realize hockey players weren’t allowed to be frustrated. Whacking his stick against the goal. But hey at least he didn’t do it to someone’s head. Cause then he would be a penguin.

• bellivi - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:10 AM

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

28. myvickinabox14 - Apr 21, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Trolls be trollin

29. mungman69 - Apr 21, 2012 at 12:15 AM

It’s all over now!

30. jagrbomb18 - Apr 21, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Flyers in 6 I’ll be there sunday row 11!!

31. bobhpine - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:04 AM

9-2 penguins game 6

32. Matt - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:17 AM

We’re working with a small sample size, but this series illustrates the kind of problems that Columbus and Toronto have had this year: it’s all in the goalie. When your goalie is sub-.900 SV%, your team simply cannot be expected to win games. Even the all-star Penguin offense couldn’t do it in front of Fleury’s awful games 1-3. I hope Scott Howson and Brian Burke are paying attention, because they could fix their problems really fast if Roberto Luongo becomes available…

33. cspuck7 - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:43 AM

Love the people still trying to back Cindy Crysby’s actions and trying to compare them to Giroux breaking his stick on the net after the game. Too funny. Anyway, I can’t wait to see Game 6 on Sunday

34. bobhpine - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:57 AM

If Sidney Crosby would have smashed his stick you fly girls would be going on an on about what a baby he is…Claude Giroux is just showing emotion though right? Your little ginger boy isn’t as good and he knows it…hence the end of game pms … Feel the choke

• dmfc1112 - Apr 21, 2012 at 12:26 PM

What choke? it’s only a choke when you’re EXPECTED to win. Besides Flyers fans, who thought they’d win?? I don’t think I heard one so called “expert” pick the Flyers. Two more games left though. We’ll see.

• tk1966 - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:26 PM

ok, point taken…now how about a response to the first point made by bobhpne?

• aglumac - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:58 PM

I think if your up 3 games to none, and won games 2 and 3 in the manner that the Flyers did, and talked all that smack along the way, losing this series definitely constitutes a CHOKE.

35. joewilliesshnoz - Apr 21, 2012 at 3:29 AM

Flyers suck . . . Told ya !

36. fbothharbaughs - Apr 21, 2012 at 8:00 AM

I hear the train a comin’….

37. mungman69 - Apr 21, 2012 at 8:09 AM

Hey: Flyers fans: it isn’t over yet, either way you look at it.

38. maalea - Apr 21, 2012 at 9:04 AM

I love it!!!

The runaway Cup favorites fans are jizzing all over themselves because they get to play one more game and it will be ONLY one more game.

• benzoids - Apr 21, 2012 at 10:42 AM

@maalea….You seemed so composed yesterday. Relax. Should be a good game tomorrow. I just hope that both teams can play a physical game and nobody gets hurt. Hope you have a good day today. I was going to cut the grass today, but it is raining. I need to change out a light fixture as well, so I will probably do that since that can be done in the comforts of my own home. What are your plans for the day?

• maalea - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:08 PM

I’m calm but it’s the playoffs and sometimes the emotion bubbles over. Damn, I hope Sunday’s game is closer to game 1 and 5 than 2, 3, and 4.

As for my plans, We’re doing an Earth Day clean-up in the morning. The wife is doing lunch with her college friends and my daughter is doing girl scouts for about 4 hours. So the afternoon is clear for watching hockey most of the day.

We get that rain tomorrow.

39. id4joey - Apr 21, 2012 at 10:39 AM

One more game??????? Wow! Get your head out of the sand and look at reality. This series can go either way. I have always been a big Crosby fan, huge is more like it. But, I admit he has to stop acting like a punk and become the ultimate professional. I’m a hockey fan and appreciate talent. Be it Crosby, Giroux, Couturier, or anybody else. If you are a true hockey fan you need to appreciate these guys regardless of your loyalty.

• maalea - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:32 PM

I’m saying the Flyers win, how is that having my head in the sand. They had their chances. The
      Flyers hit 2 posts and Brierre shoots into MAF’s pads. If we pot one of those who knows what could have happened. The one in the 1st minute off the crossbar might have messed with Fluery’s mojo but it didn’t go in and he built on it and he has some of his swagger back.

It was a very good, close game that could have gome either way.

Believe me, I’m enjoying and marvel at what these guys do out there.

The other thing is. if you don’t lose once in a while, it’s not really a rivalry.

40. kingjoe1 - Apr 21, 2012 at 11:18 AM

The pens showed their muster but the Flyers will be too much for them at high noon Sunday !

41. bobhpine - Apr 21, 2012 at 11:49 AM

75% of respondents to a current Philly.com poll think the penguins will in 7…you can’t beat us?

42. joewilliesshnoz - Apr 21, 2012 at 12:35 PM

It’ll be fun watching 13 thousand Philly sphincters pucker so bad they won’t be able to fart .

• jimeejohnson - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Talk about farts: Pittsburghers put fries and cole slaw on sandwiches! Heck, it’s mighty tasty, much like the Philly cheesesteak! Thank you, Pennsylvania. Now you can go back to ripping each other to shreds!

43. joegoodsports - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Good stuff. I think that this is still the Flyers series to lose but its obvious the the momentum is in Pittsburgh’s favor. If it goes to game 7, good night Philadelphia. http://joegoodsports.wordpress.com/2012/04/21/fleury-looks-like-fleury-flyers-cross-their-fingers-for-game-6/

44. jimeejohnson - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Anybody who does not realize this series is either club’s for the taking is only fooling themselves. I am a fan of hockey and not of either team, so I am a able to appreciate the way the Flyers jumped out to a seemingly insurmountable lead, only to have the Penguins come back to make it a series. Thank you, Pennsylvania hockey!

45. jblah - Apr 21, 2012 at 3:15 PM

i know the flyers lost but i think their defense took a step in the right direction. i’m more confident in them getting this done in game 6. they just have to play with more urgency.

46. plogsdon - Apr 21, 2012 at 6:41 PM

UGH I absolutely hate all the people on her who take comments so personal and talk sh*t all night based on where you happened to be born or live. none of you have any bearing on what happens in the series and yet you talk trash about what sandwiches people eat and suicide and parenting and everything else under the sun when none of it matters. just watch the game and enjoy it. I’m all for talking about the game and what happened in it but some of you people need to realize its a sport, a GAME, and no matter what happens, the next day is just another day.

47. cohiba1200 - Apr 22, 2012 at 9:59 PM

pengs are done now so when crosby get done shaving his playoff beard he can shave his vigina

Are Penguins vulnerable vs. Columbus?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches