Apr 20, 2012, 1:03 AM EDT
Is it right to interpret Thursday as a passing of the torch? That might be a bit unfair, but the San Jose Sharks are still in a tough spot against the young St. Louis Blues after losing to them 2-1 on their home ice. The Blues now have a 3-1 series lead, bringing up inevitable questions about the future for the Sharks’ veteran core of Joe Thornton, Patrick Marleau and Dan Boyle (fair or not).
- Speaking of Marleau, some Sharks fans might fit him with goat horns for taking a late penalty. That ended up abbreviating San Jose’s man advantage when it was 1-0; the Blues eventually took advantage of a fortuitous bounce to notch a 2-0 dagger (and eventual game-winner).
- Considering Phoenix’s struggles to hold onto a lead, are the Blues the toughest team to come back against in the 2012 playoffs?
- Is the St. Louis starting job Brian Elliott‘s lose after he’s been in net for three Blues wins (although Jaroslav Halak received technical credit for the first one)?
- The Blues power play has scored six goals on 16 chances in four games. Are they a legitimate Stanley Cup contender if that man advantage remains reasonably productive?
- Could the Sharks actually gut out three straight wins against the Blues, who haven’t won a playoff series in their current setup? Or is it already time to think about the fallout from a disappointing season for San Jose?
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 3
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 35
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)