Apr 20, 2012, 1:03 AM EDT
Is it right to interpret Thursday as a passing of the torch? That might be a bit unfair, but the San Jose Sharks are still in a tough spot against the young St. Louis Blues after losing to them 2-1 on their home ice. The Blues now have a 3-1 series lead, bringing up inevitable questions about the future for the Sharks’ veteran core of Joe Thornton, Patrick Marleau and Dan Boyle (fair or not).
- Speaking of Marleau, some Sharks fans might fit him with goat horns for taking a late penalty. That ended up abbreviating San Jose’s man advantage when it was 1-0; the Blues eventually took advantage of a fortuitous bounce to notch a 2-0 dagger (and eventual game-winner).
- Considering Phoenix’s struggles to hold onto a lead, are the Blues the toughest team to come back against in the 2012 playoffs?
- Is the St. Louis starting job Brian Elliott‘s lose after he’s been in net for three Blues wins (although Jaroslav Halak received technical credit for the first one)?
- The Blues power play has scored six goals on 16 chances in four games. Are they a legitimate Stanley Cup contender if that man advantage remains reasonably productive?
- Could the Sharks actually gut out three straight wins against the Blues, who haven’t won a playoff series in their current setup? Or is it already time to think about the fallout from a disappointing season for San Jose?
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 71
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 54
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 34
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)