Apr 20, 2012, 1:03 AM EDT
Is it right to interpret Thursday as a passing of the torch? That might be a bit unfair, but the San Jose Sharks are still in a tough spot against the young St. Louis Blues after losing to them 2-1 on their home ice. The Blues now have a 3-1 series lead, bringing up inevitable questions about the future for the Sharks’ veteran core of Joe Thornton, Patrick Marleau and Dan Boyle (fair or not).
- Speaking of Marleau, some Sharks fans might fit him with goat horns for taking a late penalty. That ended up abbreviating San Jose’s man advantage when it was 1-0; the Blues eventually took advantage of a fortuitous bounce to notch a 2-0 dagger (and eventual game-winner).
- Considering Phoenix’s struggles to hold onto a lead, are the Blues the toughest team to come back against in the 2012 playoffs?
- Is the St. Louis starting job Brian Elliott‘s lose after he’s been in net for three Blues wins (although Jaroslav Halak received technical credit for the first one)?
- The Blues power play has scored six goals on 16 chances in four games. Are they a legitimate Stanley Cup contender if that man advantage remains reasonably productive?
- Could the Sharks actually gut out three straight wins against the Blues, who haven’t won a playoff series in their current setup? Or is it already time to think about the fallout from a disappointing season for San Jose?
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)