Apr 20, 2012, 1:03 AM EST
Is it right to interpret Thursday as a passing of the torch? That might be a bit unfair, but the San Jose Sharks are still in a tough spot against the young St. Louis Blues after losing to them 2-1 on their home ice. The Blues now have a 3-1 series lead, bringing up inevitable questions about the future for the Sharks’ veteran core of Joe Thornton, Patrick Marleau and Dan Boyle (fair or not).
- Speaking of Marleau, some Sharks fans might fit him with goat horns for taking a late penalty. That ended up abbreviating San Jose’s man advantage when it was 1-0; the Blues eventually took advantage of a fortuitous bounce to notch a 2-0 dagger (and eventual game-winner).
- Considering Phoenix’s struggles to hold onto a lead, are the Blues the toughest team to come back against in the 2012 playoffs?
- Is the St. Louis starting job Brian Elliott‘s lose after he’s been in net for three Blues wins (although Jaroslav Halak received technical credit for the first one)?
- The Blues power play has scored six goals on 16 chances in four games. Are they a legitimate Stanley Cup contender if that man advantage remains reasonably productive?
- Could the Sharks actually gut out three straight wins against the Blues, who haven’t won a playoff series in their current setup? Or is it already time to think about the fallout from a disappointing season for San Jose?
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 7
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 4
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 10
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 17
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 99
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 16
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)