Apr 20, 2012, 3:15 PM EST
Chicago Police Supt. Garry McCarthy was at Game 3, witnessed the incident and shared his thoughts with Chicago Sun-Times gossip columnist Michael Sneed:
“It was borderline criminal conduct. Hockey is a tough game that’s played rough. But you play fair. Not dirty.
“I took an out-of-town friend to the game and paid dearly for those tickets. But you don’t pay to see cheap shots like that.
“The guy [Torres] was acting insane. He was cursing the fans and pointing his stick at them. What Torres did could jeopardize two careers and two livelihoods.
“Quite frankly, Mike, what happened should merit a lifetime ban from the National Hockey League.”
A lifetime ban certainly would be stiff punishment for Torres, who on Friday had a hearing with NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan.
It’s expected Shanahan will issue a lengthy suspension, possibly longer than his last big one — that, of course, being the five game ban given to Chicago defenseman Duncan Keith.
Remember that one, Superintendent?
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 1
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 40
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (40)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)