Apr 20, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
Chicago Police Supt. Garry McCarthy was at Game 3, witnessed the incident and shared his thoughts with Chicago Sun-Times gossip columnist Michael Sneed:
“It was borderline criminal conduct. Hockey is a tough game that’s played rough. But you play fair. Not dirty.
“I took an out-of-town friend to the game and paid dearly for those tickets. But you don’t pay to see cheap shots like that.
“The guy [Torres] was acting insane. He was cursing the fans and pointing his stick at them. What Torres did could jeopardize two careers and two livelihoods.
“Quite frankly, Mike, what happened should merit a lifetime ban from the National Hockey League.”
A lifetime ban certainly would be stiff punishment for Torres, who on Friday had a hearing with NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan.
It’s expected Shanahan will issue a lengthy suspension, possibly longer than his last big one — that, of course, being the five game ban given to Chicago defenseman Duncan Keith.
Remember that one, Superintendent?
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 19
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 17
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 17
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 13
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 30
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)