Apr 20, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
Chicago Police Supt. Garry McCarthy was at Game 3, witnessed the incident and shared his thoughts with Chicago Sun-Times gossip columnist Michael Sneed:
“It was borderline criminal conduct. Hockey is a tough game that’s played rough. But you play fair. Not dirty.
“I took an out-of-town friend to the game and paid dearly for those tickets. But you don’t pay to see cheap shots like that.
“The guy [Torres] was acting insane. He was cursing the fans and pointing his stick at them. What Torres did could jeopardize two careers and two livelihoods.
“Quite frankly, Mike, what happened should merit a lifetime ban from the National Hockey League.”
A lifetime ban certainly would be stiff punishment for Torres, who on Friday had a hearing with NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan.
It’s expected Shanahan will issue a lengthy suspension, possibly longer than his last big one — that, of course, being the five game ban given to Chicago defenseman Duncan Keith.
Remember that one, Superintendent?
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (86)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)