Apr 20, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
Chicago Police Supt. Garry McCarthy was at Game 3, witnessed the incident and shared his thoughts with Chicago Sun-Times gossip columnist Michael Sneed:
“It was borderline criminal conduct. Hockey is a tough game that’s played rough. But you play fair. Not dirty.
“I took an out-of-town friend to the game and paid dearly for those tickets. But you don’t pay to see cheap shots like that.
“The guy [Torres] was acting insane. He was cursing the fans and pointing his stick at them. What Torres did could jeopardize two careers and two livelihoods.
“Quite frankly, Mike, what happened should merit a lifetime ban from the National Hockey League.”
A lifetime ban certainly would be stiff punishment for Torres, who on Friday had a hearing with NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan.
It’s expected Shanahan will issue a lengthy suspension, possibly longer than his last big one — that, of course, being the five game ban given to Chicago defenseman Duncan Keith.
Remember that one, Superintendent?
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)