Apr 20, 2012, 3:15 PM EST
Chicago Police Supt. Garry McCarthy was at Game 3, witnessed the incident and shared his thoughts with Chicago Sun-Times gossip columnist Michael Sneed:
“It was borderline criminal conduct. Hockey is a tough game that’s played rough. But you play fair. Not dirty.
“I took an out-of-town friend to the game and paid dearly for those tickets. But you don’t pay to see cheap shots like that.
“The guy [Torres] was acting insane. He was cursing the fans and pointing his stick at them. What Torres did could jeopardize two careers and two livelihoods.
“Quite frankly, Mike, what happened should merit a lifetime ban from the National Hockey League.”
A lifetime ban certainly would be stiff punishment for Torres, who on Friday had a hearing with NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan.
It’s expected Shanahan will issue a lengthy suspension, possibly longer than his last big one — that, of course, being the five game ban given to Chicago defenseman Duncan Keith.
Remember that one, Superintendent?
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 0
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 17
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 29
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 30
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 17
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 75
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 13
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (75)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)