Apr 20, 2012, 2:47 PM EDT
The Vancouver Canucks did it, so did the Florida Panthers.
Will the Chicago Blackhawks be the next team to make a goaltending change?
They might, according to CSN Chicago’s Tracey Myers. Shortly before the team departed for Phoenix on Friday, head coach Joel Quenneville remained non-committal about who his Game 5 starter would be.
“We’ll talk about it,” Crawford said of his timeline for a decision. “We don’t foresee making an announcement.”
Corey Crawford has started all four games thus far, compiling below-average numbers: a 1-3 record with a .900 save percentage and 2.64 goals-against average.
His biggest issues, though, have come in overtime, where he’s allowed a pair of questionable markers to Coyotes forward Mikkel Boedker:
Crawford was visibly disappointed after allowing the second of Boedker’s game-winning tallies.
“I was just playing it like a breakaway,” he said. “He came in and I don’t know how it went through there. I don’t know.”
Crawford’s poor play is just one of the reasons why Quenneville might turn to Emery. The 29-year-old has also had success against Phoenix this year, making three appearances against the Coyotes while posting a 1.52 GAA/.927 save percentage.
And lest we forget, Emery has experience taking the starting gig from Crawford and going on a run. In mid-December he was handed the reins and ripped off a five-game winning streak — plus, there’s his extensive playoff experience. He backstopped Ottawa to the Cup finals in 2007 and has 36 playoff games on his resume.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 2
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)