Apr 20, 2012, 4:03 PM EDT
The Washington Capitals were just engaging in “gamesmanship” when they publicly complained about Nicklas Backstrom’s suspension, NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman said today at an Associated Press Sports Editors meeting.
Bettman said Friday that criticism of the league’s disciplinary decisions as inconsistent simply reflected clubs disliking rulings that hurt them. He used the one-game suspension of Washington center Nicklas Backstrom for an illegal cross-check as an example. Bettman says of the Capitals’ disagreement: “That doesn’t mean anything; they didn’t like it.”
We disagree with the NHL’s decision to suspend Nicklas Backstrom.
This has been a competitive and physical series, and we do not understand why a suspension was imposed in this case while other incidents in this series have not been reviewed.
And frankly, there was some gamesmanship behind the Caps’ complaint, which was essentially a wordier way of telling the league to call it both ways. Then, should a questionable offense be committed against one of their players, they’d have something to stand on.
The risk for Bettman is that he appears dismissive of all complaints relating to supplementary discipline and on-ice violence, including ones from media and fans.
We’d be curious to hear what else he said today, because we assume he didn’t just accuse teams of gamesmanship and peace out.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 5
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 12
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)