Apr 20, 2012, 5:29 PM EDT
A Nashville win tonight at Bridgestone Arena could mark the last time hockey fans get to see Nicklas Lidstrom in a Red Wings uniform.
That said, try not to panic too much Wings fans – because if it is, Detroit coach Mike Babcock would be “shocked.”
“I’ve been hearing that same story [about Lidstrom retiring] for about five years now,” Babcock said yesterday, as per the Detroit Free Press. “I haven’t thought much about Nick. I’d be shocked if he retires, but I’ve been shocked before.”
Lidstrom is the oldest player in the NHL. He’ll turn 42 on Apr. 28. However, unlike most athletes of his age, he’s still got it. Which is to say, one of the greatest defenseman in hockey history still plays like one of the greatest defenseman in hockey history.
Whenever the Wings finish the playoffs, don’t expect to hear Lidstrom announce his plans right after. Once the season is over, he’ll take some time to clear his mind, talk things over with his wife, then make a decision.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (60)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)