Apr 20, 2012, 5:29 PM EDT
A Nashville win tonight at Bridgestone Arena could mark the last time hockey fans get to see Nicklas Lidstrom in a Red Wings uniform.
That said, try not to panic too much Wings fans – because if it is, Detroit coach Mike Babcock would be “shocked.”
“I’ve been hearing that same story [about Lidstrom retiring] for about five years now,” Babcock said yesterday, as per the Detroit Free Press. “I haven’t thought much about Nick. I’d be shocked if he retires, but I’ve been shocked before.”
Lidstrom is the oldest player in the NHL. He’ll turn 42 on Apr. 28. However, unlike most athletes of his age, he’s still got it. Which is to say, one of the greatest defenseman in hockey history still plays like one of the greatest defenseman in hockey history.
Whenever the Wings finish the playoffs, don’t expect to hear Lidstrom announce his plans right after. Once the season is over, he’ll take some time to clear his mind, talk things over with his wife, then make a decision.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 10
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 23
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 66
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (67)