Apr 20, 2012, 2:11 AM EST
While Braden Holtby blossomed into the star of the moment in the third period of a tight 2-1 win against the Boston Bruins, Alex Ovechkin sacrificed like a captain. At least, that’s the best way to spin it to keep the peace for the Washington Capitals, as CSNWashington’s Chuck Gormley explains why Dale Hunter only sent Ovi out for 1:58 of ice time in the game’s final 20 minutes.
Hunter simply did not want to run the risk of Ovechkin committing another costly giveaway in the third period of a one-goal game. And Ovechkin was not the only player who sat the bench in the third. Alex Semin took just five shifts in the final period.
There’s been plenty made about Ovechkin getting planted on the bench in the past and – much like tonight – a Capitals’ win wouldn’t kill the questions altogether. To the captain’s credit, Ovi didn’t make anything more than a fuss then using the classic sad salesman’s phrase “it is what it is.”
“The third period we play safe,” Ovechkin said. “It is what it is. We take this win. It was very important mentally.”
The Capitals might have won it for Nicky, but Ovi took one for the team.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 27
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)