Apr 20, 2012, 2:11 AM EDT
While Braden Holtby blossomed into the star of the moment in the third period of a tight 2-1 win against the Boston Bruins, Alex Ovechkin sacrificed like a captain. At least, that’s the best way to spin it to keep the peace for the Washington Capitals, as CSNWashington’s Chuck Gormley explains why Dale Hunter only sent Ovi out for 1:58 of ice time in the game’s final 20 minutes.
Hunter simply did not want to run the risk of Ovechkin committing another costly giveaway in the third period of a one-goal game. And Ovechkin was not the only player who sat the bench in the third. Alex Semin took just five shifts in the final period.
There’s been plenty made about Ovechkin getting planted on the bench in the past and – much like tonight – a Capitals’ win wouldn’t kill the questions altogether. To the captain’s credit, Ovi didn’t make anything more than a fuss then using the classic sad salesman’s phrase “it is what it is.”
“The third period we play safe,” Ovechkin said. “It is what it is. We take this win. It was very important mentally.”
The Capitals might have won it for Nicky, but Ovi took one for the team.
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 2
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)