Apr 19, 2012, 11:09 PM EDT
Braden Holtby was stunning on Thursday right up until the very end. In fact, he was still going strong about 5.3 seconds after the game was supposed to end. I’ll go into more detail about that in a moment, but first, you can watch Holtby’s heroics below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
According to Bob McKenzie, the story is that the timekeeper was fighting for the referees’ attention, but because the building was so loud, that the officials apparently didn’t notice and dropped the puck. The result was that the Timekeeper didn’t immediately start the clock.
Holtby made a great save as the game ended, but McKenzie said that goal wouldn’t have counted anyways. Still, Holtby spared the NHL a potential headache with his efforts. It’s also worth noting that he probably didn’t know there was a problem with the clock, so that was still a high pressure save on his part.
- Video: Tavares, Islanders take 2-1 series lead with OT win 18
- Watch Live: Predators at Blackhawks 0
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 3
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 5
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 13
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 83
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 68
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 166
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 18
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (166)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (83)