Apr 19, 2012, 1:57 AM EDT
Given everything that’s already transpired this postseason, it was only a matter of time before we saw our first penalty shot.
On Wednesday, that time arrived.
With Vancouver on the power play and clinging to a 2-1 lead over Los Angeles midway through the third period, defenseman Kevin Bieksa coughed the puck up to Kings forward Dustin Brown…who had nothing but clear ice between himself and Canucks goalie Cory Schneider.
Bieksa — perhaps cognizant of the fact Brown’s owned Vancouver this series — tripped up the L.A. captain as he broke in alone and BAM!
Penalty shot. The first of the playoffs.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Following the game Brown was complimentary of Schneider’s save, which proved to be a real game-changer. Henrik Sedin would bat in the insurance marker just moments later as the Canucks staved off elimination.
“It’s a big momentum swing for them,” Brown told LA Kings Insider Rich Hammond. “It’s goes from a [potential] 2-2 game to a 3-1 game in a matter of 20, 30 seconds. I made a move and he made a save.’’
The stop was arguably the biggest of Schneider’s 44 on the night. It also marked the first time in this series that Vancouver’s goalie has been the best one on the ice, which should give the Canucks some much-needed momentum as the series shifts back to Rogers Arena on Sunday for Game 5.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (76)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)