Apr 19, 2012, 1:57 AM EDT
Given everything that’s already transpired this postseason, it was only a matter of time before we saw our first penalty shot.
On Wednesday, that time arrived.
With Vancouver on the power play and clinging to a 2-1 lead over Los Angeles midway through the third period, defenseman Kevin Bieksa coughed the puck up to Kings forward Dustin Brown…who had nothing but clear ice between himself and Canucks goalie Cory Schneider.
Bieksa — perhaps cognizant of the fact Brown’s owned Vancouver this series — tripped up the L.A. captain as he broke in alone and BAM!
Penalty shot. The first of the playoffs.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Following the game Brown was complimentary of Schneider’s save, which proved to be a real game-changer. Henrik Sedin would bat in the insurance marker just moments later as the Canucks staved off elimination.
“It’s a big momentum swing for them,” Brown told LA Kings Insider Rich Hammond. “It’s goes from a [potential] 2-2 game to a 3-1 game in a matter of 20, 30 seconds. I made a move and he made a save.’’
The stop was arguably the biggest of Schneider’s 44 on the night. It also marked the first time in this series that Vancouver’s goalie has been the best one on the ice, which should give the Canucks some much-needed momentum as the series shifts back to Rogers Arena on Sunday for Game 5.
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 16
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 46
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 16
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 44
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 21
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 24
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 39