Apr 19, 2012, 1:57 AM EDT
Given everything that’s already transpired this postseason, it was only a matter of time before we saw our first penalty shot.
On Wednesday, that time arrived.
With Vancouver on the power play and clinging to a 2-1 lead over Los Angeles midway through the third period, defenseman Kevin Bieksa coughed the puck up to Kings forward Dustin Brown…who had nothing but clear ice between himself and Canucks goalie Cory Schneider.
Bieksa — perhaps cognizant of the fact Brown’s owned Vancouver this series — tripped up the L.A. captain as he broke in alone and BAM!
Penalty shot. The first of the playoffs.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Following the game Brown was complimentary of Schneider’s save, which proved to be a real game-changer. Henrik Sedin would bat in the insurance marker just moments later as the Canucks staved off elimination.
“It’s a big momentum swing for them,” Brown told LA Kings Insider Rich Hammond. “It’s goes from a [potential] 2-2 game to a 3-1 game in a matter of 20, 30 seconds. I made a move and he made a save.’’
The stop was arguably the biggest of Schneider’s 44 on the night. It also marked the first time in this series that Vancouver’s goalie has been the best one on the ice, which should give the Canucks some much-needed momentum as the series shifts back to Rogers Arena on Sunday for Game 5.
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 2
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 16
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 28
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 106
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (106)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)