Apr 19, 2012, 1:57 AM EDT
Given everything that’s already transpired this postseason, it was only a matter of time before we saw our first penalty shot.
On Wednesday, that time arrived.
With Vancouver on the power play and clinging to a 2-1 lead over Los Angeles midway through the third period, defenseman Kevin Bieksa coughed the puck up to Kings forward Dustin Brown…who had nothing but clear ice between himself and Canucks goalie Cory Schneider.
Bieksa — perhaps cognizant of the fact Brown’s owned Vancouver this series — tripped up the L.A. captain as he broke in alone and BAM!
Penalty shot. The first of the playoffs.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Following the game Brown was complimentary of Schneider’s save, which proved to be a real game-changer. Henrik Sedin would bat in the insurance marker just moments later as the Canucks staved off elimination.
“It’s a big momentum swing for them,” Brown told LA Kings Insider Rich Hammond. “It’s goes from a [potential] 2-2 game to a 3-1 game in a matter of 20, 30 seconds. I made a move and he made a save.’’
The stop was arguably the biggest of Schneider’s 44 on the night. It also marked the first time in this series that Vancouver’s goalie has been the best one on the ice, which should give the Canucks some much-needed momentum as the series shifts back to Rogers Arena on Sunday for Game 5.
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 5
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 16
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 36
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 7
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 44
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 105
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (89)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)