Apr 19, 2012, 10:03 AM EDT
“The explanation from the doctor to me was that it’s like a concussion,” Vokoun said. “Somebody heals in months, somebody else [sooner], it all depends on how your body is reacting so you can’t predict. It’s not like saying ‘its two weeks and you’ll be fine.’ It’s when you feel good — that’s when you’re fine. That means you have to go through a full practice and do everything like in a game situation and I haven’t done anything close to that.”
The Capitals are down in their series 2-1 against the Boston Bruins, although their goaltending hasn’t been the problem. Braden Holtby has done a fine job of stepping up and their one victory is largely thanks to his efforts.
Still, after joining Washington in the summer for a chance to play in the postseason, it looks like Vokoun might not get that chance.
Vokoun is scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent this summer and the Washington Capitals are unlikely to re-sign him. Instead, the team is likely to begin the 2012-13 campaign with Holtby and Michal Neuvirth.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)