Apr 19, 2012, 10:03 AM EST
“The explanation from the doctor to me was that it’s like a concussion,” Vokoun said. “Somebody heals in months, somebody else [sooner], it all depends on how your body is reacting so you can’t predict. It’s not like saying ‘its two weeks and you’ll be fine.’ It’s when you feel good — that’s when you’re fine. That means you have to go through a full practice and do everything like in a game situation and I haven’t done anything close to that.”
The Capitals are down in their series 2-1 against the Boston Bruins, although their goaltending hasn’t been the problem. Braden Holtby has done a fine job of stepping up and their one victory is largely thanks to his efforts.
Still, after joining Washington in the summer for a chance to play in the postseason, it looks like Vokoun might not get that chance.
Vokoun is scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent this summer and the Washington Capitals are unlikely to re-sign him. Instead, the team is likely to begin the 2012-13 campaign with Holtby and Michal Neuvirth.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 155
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 123
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (155)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (123)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)