Apr 19, 2012, 10:03 AM EDT
“The explanation from the doctor to me was that it’s like a concussion,” Vokoun said. “Somebody heals in months, somebody else [sooner], it all depends on how your body is reacting so you can’t predict. It’s not like saying ‘its two weeks and you’ll be fine.’ It’s when you feel good — that’s when you’re fine. That means you have to go through a full practice and do everything like in a game situation and I haven’t done anything close to that.”
The Capitals are down in their series 2-1 against the Boston Bruins, although their goaltending hasn’t been the problem. Braden Holtby has done a fine job of stepping up and their one victory is largely thanks to his efforts.
Still, after joining Washington in the summer for a chance to play in the postseason, it looks like Vokoun might not get that chance.
Vokoun is scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent this summer and the Washington Capitals are unlikely to re-sign him. Instead, the team is likely to begin the 2012-13 campaign with Holtby and Michal Neuvirth.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)