Video: Sedin elbows Brown — was it retribution?

Apr 19, 2012, 1:44 AM EST

In Sunday’s Game 3 loss to the L.A. Kings, Henrik Sedin was on the receiving end of a devastating Dustin Brown bodycheck. The hit received a lot of notoriety and was in the public eye for quite some time (the Kings Twitter account posted it so followers could “watch it as often as you’d like.”)

While the Canucks captain later told reporters he felt the check was clean — a claim backed up by his head coach, Alain Vigneault — some felt Vancouver did a poor job of stepping up for its captain. Kevin Bieksa got a two minute roughing minor trying to get after Brown, but many felt that wasn’t enough to send the appropriate message.

Then on Wednesday, this happened:

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!

Some things to consider:

– There was no penalty on the play, though John Hoven of Mayor’s Manor said several in attendance at Staples felt it was a missed call.

According to CBC’s Elliotte Friedman, the NHL sent out a note saying the cut Brown suffered was caused by a puck, not Sedin.

Sportsnet’s John Shannon said it was a quiet night for the NHL’s Player Safety Department and that, following the Canucks-Kings game, there were no pending reviews.

From LA Kings Insider Rich Hammond, Brown’s postgame comments:

“I didn’t know who it was. I had a puck in my face, so my eyes were watering. I didn’t really know if it was my player, their player. I didn’t really know. Whatever hit me, hit me in the head. … I haven’t seen it. I had just got hit in the face with a puck, so I didn’t really know if it was my guy, their guy, a stick. I really didn’t know.’’

In short, it doesn’t sound as though Sedin’s elbow will be subjected to further analysis — but at the same time, the current climate of NHL discipline could mean a wider net is being cast on reviews moving forward.

On one hand, the contact was minimal and Brown appeared uninjured (aside from the cut).

On the other, it was contact to the head and could be classified as intentional.

Brendan Shanahan has already conducted seven discipline hearings in the postseason with an eighth, involving Phoenix’s Raffi Torres, scheduled for this Friday…so who knows what Sedin might wake up to tomorrow.

1. nobandwagoners - Apr 19, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Seriously, chill out.
    Weak attempt to stir up some more sh*t.

• rarelyshaves - Apr 19, 2012 at 5:29 AM

it was more of a b*tch slap than an elbow…

2. micasa81 - Apr 19, 2012 at 2:00 AM

Stupid move by Henrik, but no biggie.

3. elvispocomo - Apr 19, 2012 at 2:11 AM

This is not as serious as you’re making it out to be. He doesn’t drive his elbow into Brown, but you can see he actually tries to pull it back, and at most kind of slaps at Brown on the way by.

• DTF31 - Apr 19, 2012 at 2:31 AM

Best backhand of Hank’s career

• crmgoodness - Apr 19, 2012 at 4:01 AM

Regardless of the type of contact (slapping would be in character) it was a pretty gutless move to go after a guy who’s just been hit in the face with a puck. It was clearly intentional and probably merited 2 minutes. As for anything else, if Weber’s actions result in a fine, this deserves nothing. I think the bigger question is when will these idiots (on all teams) stop going after eachother’s heads???

• themohel - Apr 19, 2012 at 8:05 AM

“Gutless” has been the hallmark of this current Van squad for several years now. Not the biggest hit, for sure, but dirty nonetheless.

4. ray2013 - Apr 19, 2012 at 3:54 AM

It was no Weber on Zetterberg, but it was a little retribution. He’s lucky the referees missed it (What a surprise, that never happens). Should have been 2-minutes. But otherwise, they both played well, and earned a V. Next game should be fun.

5. cableguymike - Apr 19, 2012 at 4:13 AM

Brown is the biggest diver on the Kings. He constantly looks like his skates need sharpening. This is his coming out party as a wanna be Kesler. Only he’s less talented and looks like a bigger goof.

6. bmscalise - Apr 19, 2012 at 6:52 AM

No pending reviews? How is Rinaldo’s hit from behind on Z. Michalek not getting a review, given how premeditated (and stupid) it was? He got tossed for goodness sake.

7. odj810 - Apr 19, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Doesn’t deserve a suspension by any means but it was still a cheap shot to the head. Glad to see these teams down 3-0 putting up a fight.

• cableguymike - Apr 19, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Cheap shot? He was asking Brown if his glove smelled funny. Based on Brown’s reaction I’m assuming it does.

8. micasa81 - Apr 19, 2012 at 9:37 AM

BTW bloggers – I know your hands are tied re: having to source video from NBC if it’s available from them, but when it’s just a short clip like this, I *never* watch the video because I know the ad at the beginning is at least as long as what I’m actually trying to watch.

• micasa81 - Apr 19, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Of course, my posting about this does prove that it hasn’t driven me away from the site, but I’m guessing overall it doesn’t help traffic.

9. bigbadbruins1968 - Apr 19, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Of course it isn’t pending review, Henrik plays for Vancouver.

• salmon90 - Apr 19, 2012 at 11:29 AM

I think I just got dumber

10. geo91 - Apr 19, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Give him the 2500 at least

11. cableguymike - Apr 19, 2012 at 11:36 AM

If this ever got suspended it would be a dark day for the NHL….

Slam a guy’s head into the turnbuckle? $2500 fine, no suspension.

B—h slap a chronic diver with a lisp? Well that’s where we draw the line!

Anyway, do we know if Brown is out of traction yet? You’d have thought Henrik shot him in the face the way he embellished it.

• comeonnowguys - Apr 19, 2012 at 1:51 PM

You root for…

and you called Brown a…

/headasplode

• cableguymike - Apr 19, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Outside of Kesler’s game 1 antics, the LA Kings are also leading the Diving portion of the program by at least a 3-1 margin as well. I’m just sayin’.

• comeonnowguys - Apr 19, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Forgetting game 3’s antics?

How about Game 2?

So you’re saying the Kings dove like this at least six times?

12. bigoldorcafromvan - Apr 19, 2012 at 3:00 PM

All the scrums in front of both nets last night resulted in players getting slaped in the face with gloves, arms and sticks way harder than what Sedin touched Brown.s face. Give it a rest. Brown was trying to draw a penalty.

13. jeffrp - Apr 19, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Clearly should have been a penalty, no way around that. Lucky for Sedin the refs did not see it.

14. thehighcountrybear - Apr 19, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Hardly worth a second look by anyone? still, you have to laugh…nothing makes a Canuck get big in the saddle quicker than seeing an opponent on his knees after taking a puck in the mouth. Sedin’s backhand slap was almost Ballardesque in its execution…try as I might, it is really hard to like the Canucks and that sort of chicken hockey is the reason why…

Next steps for the Oilers after Eakins