Apr 19, 2012, 12:27 AM EDT
This is a play that could have changed the course of the series, but fortunately, things didn’t turn out as badly as they could have. Marc Staal delivered a crushing blow to Jason Spezza late in the second period of the New York Rangers contest against the Ottawa Senators. You can view the hit below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Staal was not penalized for his actions, but the Senators already had the man advantage due to a separate incident. With Spezza briefly out of the game, Ottawa’s Sergei Gonchar quickly responded with a power-play goal that tied the contest at 2.
Spezza returned for the third period and Ottawa ended up with a 3-2 overtime win. The series is now tied with Game 5 scheduled for Saturday.
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 1
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 22
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 8
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 5
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 4
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 48
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)