Apr 19, 2012, 12:27 AM EDT
This is a play that could have changed the course of the series, but fortunately, things didn’t turn out as badly as they could have. Marc Staal delivered a crushing blow to Jason Spezza late in the second period of the New York Rangers contest against the Ottawa Senators. You can view the hit below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Staal was not penalized for his actions, but the Senators already had the man advantage due to a separate incident. With Spezza briefly out of the game, Ottawa’s Sergei Gonchar quickly responded with a power-play goal that tied the contest at 2.
Spezza returned for the third period and Ottawa ended up with a 3-2 overtime win. The series is now tied with Game 5 scheduled for Saturday.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)