Apr 19, 2012, 11:21 PM EDT
There were some curious reactions to comments made by Bruins goalie Tim Thomas following Thursday’s 2-1 loss to the Capitals. According to ESPN Boston’s Jimmy Murphy, an interview Thomas conducted with NESN did little to compliment Braden Holtby’s great game and seemed to point the finger of blame at his teammates for only scoring once.
“Just watched Tim Thomas on NESN post-game. Calls out teammates. Not surprised.”
“Funny how according to Thomas two goals Caps scored and goals Bruins didn’t score are on Thomas’ teammates. #blameeveryoneelse”
“Tim Thomas apparently not part of goalie’s union. Doesn’t give any credit to Braden Holtby and blames teammates.”
“We had a lot of shots, but as far as high-quality scoring chances? I wouldn’t say we got a lot of those,” Thomas said. “If you’re going to get those shots and get pucks to the need you need people in front of the net screening, tipping and getting rebounds.
“That’s seems to be our problem this series, getting that down.”
OK, to be fair, Thomas might just be staying on point. After all, he said it wasn’t his job to “pump Roberto Luongo‘s tires” so maybe he shouldn’t be expected to do so for Holtby, either.
“Maybe we panicked too much, I guess,” Krejci said. “I don’t know. I think we had so many chances we could have won the game. That’s the story of the game.”
Haggerty reports that Krejci also used the term “frustrated” six times, so while Thomas and his teammates might not see eye-to-eye on the source of the blame in Game 4, there might be a consensus on the resulting emotions.
- Tortorella calls meltdown ‘a kick in the teeth’ 4
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 11
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)