Apr 19, 2012, 11:21 PM EDT
There were some curious reactions to comments made by Bruins goalie Tim Thomas following Thursday’s 2-1 loss to the Capitals. According to ESPN Boston’s Jimmy Murphy, an interview Thomas conducted with NESN did little to compliment Braden Holtby’s great game and seemed to point the finger of blame at his teammates for only scoring once.
“Just watched Tim Thomas on NESN post-game. Calls out teammates. Not surprised.”
“Funny how according to Thomas two goals Caps scored and goals Bruins didn’t score are on Thomas’ teammates. #blameeveryoneelse”
“Tim Thomas apparently not part of goalie’s union. Doesn’t give any credit to Braden Holtby and blames teammates.”
“We had a lot of shots, but as far as high-quality scoring chances? I wouldn’t say we got a lot of those,” Thomas said. “If you’re going to get those shots and get pucks to the need you need people in front of the net screening, tipping and getting rebounds.
“That’s seems to be our problem this series, getting that down.”
OK, to be fair, Thomas might just be staying on point. After all, he said it wasn’t his job to “pump Roberto Luongo‘s tires” so maybe he shouldn’t be expected to do so for Holtby, either.
“Maybe we panicked too much, I guess,” Krejci said. “I don’t know. I think we had so many chances we could have won the game. That’s the story of the game.”
Haggerty reports that Krejci also used the term “frustrated” six times, so while Thomas and his teammates might not see eye-to-eye on the source of the blame in Game 4, there might be a consensus on the resulting emotions.
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 11
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 10
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 16
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 39
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)