Apr 19, 2012, 2:37 PM EDT
Rinaldo received two minutes for cross checking, two minutes for roughing, a 10-minute misconduct and was tossed from the game after this sequence with Pens defenseman Zbynek Michalek:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
The news of no suspension set Twitter on fire, with Rinaldo’s comments acting as gasoline. The 21-year-old didn’t express any remorse about his actions and said he didn’t regret them, either.
“Frustrations. Built-up frustrations of a 9-3 deficit,” Rinaldo explained to CSN Philadelphia. “We were losing. And just frustrations came out of me. It happens in hockey. I roll with the punches.
“I don’t think I put my team down. It was already 9-3…I don’t regret doing it. My emotions. I wear my heart on my sleeve.”
Rinaldo avoided league discipline, but might still face some from Flyers head coach Peter Laviolette. Rinaldo was skating with the “scratch line” at Thursday’s practice (alongside Tom Sestito and Matt Ford) and could be dropped from the Game 5 in favor of James van Riemsdyk.
While Laviolette might be loathe to change a lineup that built a commanding 3-1 series lead, he has to be concerned about Rinaldo’s penchant for taking penalties. He’s been whistled for at least one in every game and leads all playoff skaters with 46 PIM.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)