Apr 19, 2012, 2:37 PM EST
Rinaldo received two minutes for cross checking, two minutes for roughing, a 10-minute misconduct and was tossed from the game after this sequence with Pens defenseman Zbynek Michalek:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
The news of no suspension set Twitter on fire, with Rinaldo’s comments acting as gasoline. The 21-year-old didn’t express any remorse about his actions and said he didn’t regret them, either.
“Frustrations. Built-up frustrations of a 9-3 deficit,” Rinaldo explained to CSN Philadelphia. “We were losing. And just frustrations came out of me. It happens in hockey. I roll with the punches.
“I don’t think I put my team down. It was already 9-3…I don’t regret doing it. My emotions. I wear my heart on my sleeve.”
Rinaldo avoided league discipline, but might still face some from Flyers head coach Peter Laviolette. Rinaldo was skating with the “scratch line” at Thursday’s practice (alongside Tom Sestito and Matt Ford) and could be dropped from the Game 5 in favor of James van Riemsdyk.
While Laviolette might be loathe to change a lineup that built a commanding 3-1 series lead, he has to be concerned about Rinaldo’s penchant for taking penalties. He’s been whistled for at least one in every game and leads all playoff skaters with 46 PIM.
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 13
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 19
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 1
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Winners and losers of the 2014 trade deadline 48
- Montreal wins Vanek sweepstakes (Updated) 46
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)