Apr 19, 2012, 2:37 PM EDT
Rinaldo received two minutes for cross checking, two minutes for roughing, a 10-minute misconduct and was tossed from the game after this sequence with Pens defenseman Zbynek Michalek:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
The news of no suspension set Twitter on fire, with Rinaldo’s comments acting as gasoline. The 21-year-old didn’t express any remorse about his actions and said he didn’t regret them, either.
“Frustrations. Built-up frustrations of a 9-3 deficit,” Rinaldo explained to CSN Philadelphia. “We were losing. And just frustrations came out of me. It happens in hockey. I roll with the punches.
“I don’t think I put my team down. It was already 9-3…I don’t regret doing it. My emotions. I wear my heart on my sleeve.”
Rinaldo avoided league discipline, but might still face some from Flyers head coach Peter Laviolette. Rinaldo was skating with the “scratch line” at Thursday’s practice (alongside Tom Sestito and Matt Ford) and could be dropped from the Game 5 in favor of James van Riemsdyk.
While Laviolette might be loathe to change a lineup that built a commanding 3-1 series lead, he has to be concerned about Rinaldo’s penchant for taking penalties. He’s been whistled for at least one in every game and leads all playoff skaters with 46 PIM.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 0
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 9
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 36
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 55
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)