Report: No suspension for Flyers’ Rinaldo

Apr 19, 2012, 2:37 PM EST

According to CSN Philadelphia’s Tim Panaccio, there will be no supplementary discipline for Flyers forward Zac Rinaldo after the rule book was thrown at him during Philly’s 10-3 loss to Pittsburgh.

Rinaldo received two minutes for cross checking, two minutes for roughing, a 10-minute misconduct and was tossed from the game after this sequence with Pens defenseman Zbynek Michalek:

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!

The news of no suspension set Twitter on fire, with Rinaldo’s comments acting as gasoline. The 21-year-old didn’t express any remorse about his actions and said he didn’t regret them, either.

“Frustrations. Built-up frustrations of a 9-3 deficit,” Rinaldo explained to CSN Philadelphia. “We were losing. And just frustrations came out of me. It happens in hockey. I roll with the punches.

“I don’t think I put my team down. It was already 9-3…I don’t regret doing it. My emotions. I wear my heart on my sleeve.”

Rinaldo avoided league discipline, but might still face some from Flyers head coach Peter Laviolette. Rinaldo was skating with the “scratch line” at Thursday’s practice (alongside Tom Sestito and Matt Ford) and could be dropped from the Game 5 in favor of James van Riemsdyk.

While Laviolette might be loathe to change a lineup that built a commanding 3-1 series lead, he has to be concerned about Rinaldo’s penchant for taking penalties. He’s been whistled for at least one in every game and leads all playoff skaters with 46 PIM.

1. melonheadsdaddy - Apr 19, 2012 at 2:42 PM

as a flyer fan i hate this scrub.

• jimw81 - Apr 19, 2012 at 4:00 PM

dont worry jvr will be back friday.

2. wyosig - Apr 19, 2012 at 2:45 PM

It is better for the Pens that he isn’t suspended. Rinaldo is a joke and is a liability on the ice for Philly

3. sjsharks66 - Apr 19, 2012 at 2:48 PM

What a joke. Asham gets 4 games but rinaldo is just a healthy scratch.

• stakex - Apr 19, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Well Asham pretty much attacked someone with a very dangerous cross check to the head. Rinaldo on the other hand just gave Michalek a bunch of shoves, and a couple cross checks to the lower back. The two inccidents aren’t even close in terms of how dirty/illegal they are…. and if the game wasn’t a blow out, I highly doubt Rinaldo would have even been thrown out. I know we forget this some times, but this IS hockey after all…. and not everything is suspension worthy.

And lets be clear, I hate the Flyers and I REALLY hate Rinaldo…. but this is not even close to a suspension worthy play, and its really annoying to see people try to compare it to Ashams attack in game three. The two aren’t in the same ball park… hell, the two aren’t playing the same sport.

• mickeyb21 - Apr 19, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Asham never hit Schenn in the head or neck. Shanahan even says that in the video.

• chizmo - Apr 19, 2012 at 4:34 PM

he punched Michalek in the head with both gloves while he was getting up. how is that not a suspendable play? did you not watch the play before commenting?

• steelernation1 - Apr 19, 2012 at 10:20 PM

are you kidding me?you got to be a joke..he did more than shove him the guy was on his knees tryin to get up off the ice and gave him a big shot to the head while he was down.you need to take them beer goggles off son

• eigglesnosuperbowls - Apr 19, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Yeah and the penguanos got away with another head shot on Grossman last night !

• pens5829 - Apr 19, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Don’t forget about Read’s attempted elbow to Depres’s head? But that’s not a suspendable play if your coaches whined/ cried to the media within the last two weeks? Is it?

Lame attempt at a reply with Grossman headshot. Please watch the game and stop making things up.

• steelernation1 - Apr 19, 2012 at 10:22 PM

reads elbow/ punch attempt to the back of the head you mean..that was almost perfectly legal

• melonheadsdaddy - Apr 19, 2012 at 11:22 PM

Dupuis?

4. myvickinabox14 - Apr 19, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Ashen cross checked somebody in the throat!!!

• chizmo - Apr 19, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Rinaldo two gloved Michalek while he was getting up from a hit. At least Asham was defending a guy who just got blown up along the wall. No biggie but damn…

• butch81385 - Apr 19, 2012 at 3:08 PM

First of all, his name is Asham…. Second of all, rewatch the video or read any of the newer recaps: Asham’s stick never touched his throat. It hit him in the chest and shoulders area and remained there. The punch afterwards was indeed dirty and worthy of a suspension. That being said, Rinaldo’s hits to the head are just as bad as Asham’s punch to the head and I would expect the league to hand out a similar suspension.

• pens5829 - Apr 19, 2012 at 3:34 PM

No difference dude. No different than Asham’s hit. No different than Neal’s hit. Shanahan and Bettman are JOKES!!! Just like Rinaldo (I’ll include Hartnell in there too)

But we’ll deal with it just like we’ll deal with all the NHL’s BS all year long and move forward and not cry about it like the other team.

• phillyhatesyou - Apr 19, 2012 at 6:20 PM

pens5829 do you know how stupid you have sounded the last few days. lets compare, a couple of gloved punches compared to neal who purposely tageted 2 players with head shots and asham who crosschecked a dude in the neck and punched him while he was down. these incidents dont even compare. you literally have zero credibility even talking about the game of hockey by defending all of the actions of the penguins. just quit even trying to sound like someone that knows what they are talking about. that being said i thought rinaldo might get a game just because he is rinaldo but everybody that is outraged that he didnt get suspended needs to chill out. this was the same crap that happens in a scrum.

• mattdaddy7 - Apr 19, 2012 at 7:39 PM

um, you just DID cry about it…

• pens5829 - Apr 19, 2012 at 7:41 PM

phillyhatesyou (should be filthyhateseveryone). I could care less of your opinion of me. Don’t like it? Don’t read it. I’m just hear mocking all the Cryer fans like you who actually try to believe in the crap that the Penguins are dirty. DO you REALLY think if Asham hit Schenn in the neck that Schenn would have been able to come back in the game? No. Punching a man when he’s down on the ice wasn’t called for, but I HIGHLY doubt Schenn was hurt that bad. Shocked? Probably? But not injured. Maybe you need to take off your Filly Filters?

• steelernation1 - Apr 19, 2012 at 10:25 PM

phillyhatesyou did you not hear shannahan?he said he never cross checked the throat.he got him in upper chest and when he was going back the stick slid up his chest but never connected the throat.i think this has been discussed already but you fail to read like a typical flyer fan.illiterate

• maalea - Apr 19, 2012 at 11:37 PM

What you Pen fan’s are missing in this comparison is “Force of impact”. Asham came charging across the ice at top speed and tried to put Schenn into the 3rd row.
        Rinaldo’s illegal hit was from a standing position. Michalek was in a vulnerable position so the cheap shot looked bad but it couldn’t have half the impact that Asham’s did.

5. nobandwagoners - Apr 19, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Just as a general comment given the all the hysteria over suspensions and non-suspensions of late (some of it well deserved) – not EVERY moronic conduct deserves supplementary discipline in the form of a suspension. Sometimes the in-game penalties are sufficient (minor penalties, majors, game misconduct, match penalty, etc.).

You act like a moron or buffoon out there – you may get 2, 5, 10 and/or a game, and put your team down a man, etc. But if you act like too much like a moron and go too far, which may or may not include injuring another player, then in those cases a suspension might be warranted.

All I’m saying is that this knee-jerk reaction of “he should be suspended!” might need to be reigned in a bit and not be a knee-jerk reaction.

• chizmo - Apr 19, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Not really knee jerk when Shanny just suspended Asham for a dangerous retaliatory play when his team was down and out. Rinaldo same thing… No one is calling for every moronic action to be suspended, but asking for alittle consistency isn’t really asking for anything wrong.

Asham deserved the time out, so does Rinaldo. There were enough other moronic actions in the game that went on noone is even talking about.

Don’t forget Neal was also suspended for play you would call simply “acting like a buffoon.”

• kitshky - Apr 19, 2012 at 4:27 PM

@nobandwagoners

Exactly. Shanahan has said that over and over again, not every bonehead play or infraction that receives more than a 2 minute penalty requires supplemental discipline.

I think the officials deserve a litte credit for nipping what could have been a nasty affair by handing out misconducts and sticking to their word on cracking down.

6. lameasish - Apr 19, 2012 at 3:03 PM

That guy is a bum, any number of players could replace him

7. feva4theflava - Apr 19, 2012 at 3:11 PM

I agree with nobandwagoners

8. aclassyguyfromaclassytown - Apr 19, 2012 at 3:24 PM

As a Flyers fan it bothered me to see Rinaldo do what he did. I’m not one to judge on whether or not it’s suspension worthy, but it didn’t give our team a good name and that’s what bothered me about it.

• mattdaddy7 - Apr 19, 2012 at 7:38 PM

agreed, it wasn’t necessary. I would rather JVR be in the lineup Friday…

9. bennywisest - Apr 19, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Didn’t the give him a game misconduct and a one game (on ice called) suspension? Did something change since then or was this not reported correctly?

• bennywisest - Apr 19, 2012 at 3:45 PM

I guess by the thumbs down I am mistaken. Thought I heard them call on ice 2 for crosscheck 2 for roughing 10 min game misconduct and 1 game suspension.

• maalea - Apr 19, 2012 at 11:42 PM

The call was 2 for crosscheck, 2 for roughing, 10 min misconduct and a game micconduct.

10. pens5829 - Apr 19, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Shanahan (Bettman’s puppet) once again proves he’s an idiot. Please stop with “The NHL loves the Pens” comments now!

11. watermelon1 - Apr 19, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Meanwhile… One of the cleanest players in the league, Nick Backstrom… Is sitting out his very important game 4 tonight.

NHL is such a joke, and this is a perfect example of why people still pay more attention to horrible sports like the NBA and MLB.

• crashtheboards55 - Apr 19, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Couldn’t agree more. Rinaldo continued to hit michalek after the whistle blew. Deliberate shot to the F***ing head. What a joke.

12. plogsdon - Apr 19, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Can someone tell me why this guy was ever in the lineup over JVR? I’m not a flyer fan and don’t follow them. Was he injured? His rookie year in the playoffs he was excellent and there’s NO reason if he’s available you play Rinaldo the clown instead.

• chizmo - Apr 19, 2012 at 4:17 PM

injured, and lavy didn’t want to stir the pot while they were winning.

now that they’ve lost they’re gonna grasp at JVR straw. if PHI ‘tenders don’t turn around it’s gonna be a rough haul for the flyers against the mighty ‘guins.

• bennywisest - Apr 19, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Injury. JVR broke his foot blocking a shot on March 1.

13. plogsdon - Apr 19, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Nevermind. Just read JVR had a broken foot…

14. johngaltx - Apr 19, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Well he had eight games where he had more than 10 minutes in penalties in more than half of those he had fifteen or more, one with nineteen. They don’t break down how many Game Misconducts, but there appear to be at least three. It used to be a game suspension for the third GM, so they either must reset the slate when the playoffs start, or they make the rules up as they go along.

15. ottograham - Apr 19, 2012 at 4:42 PM

NHL regulation officials certainly have alot on their hands so far this post season eh?

16. myvickinabox14 - Apr 19, 2012 at 6:24 PM

I love how all of the Pittsburg (again, minus the H) are so righteous all of a sudden. It makes me laugh. We’re all hockey fans. Yea, that hit was outta line, a little. You guys have been jokes for the first three games. You would punch somebody too in that scenario. I play in men’s league, and it happens there too. We are grown men playing a grown man sport. And it’s fun. And, yes, I am from Philly, and yes, I am in the military, and yes, I am ‘Merican. And yes, I get in hockey fights, and yes I show up to my job with my boss, who also plays, and we will both have black eyes. And we have nearly 30 years combined in the military. He is a kings fan, I am a philly fan. And we both hate Pittsburg. So, Pittsburg, shut up, and play some damn hockey!!

• walleye9000 - Apr 19, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Who cares if you play hockey and who cares if you fight. If you were banging on a guys head when he is on his knees it is a gutless act!! Philly can not take what they like to hand out. Oh ya who cares if you were in the the military, does this make you an expert on anything but peeeing on dead guys. GO PENS!!!!

• tk1966 - Apr 19, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Wow. That is so clever of you to misspell the city’s name, intentionally, and call attention to it. I am blown away by your ingenuity.

• steelernation1 - Apr 19, 2012 at 10:29 PM

they did play hockey last night..and the sleeping giants woke up..soooo shhhhhhh..its on now chump

• steelernation1 - Apr 19, 2012 at 10:31 PM

oh and by the way both the flyers goaltenders are in awww right now the are shaken and confused.neither goaltender can go without giving up a lot of early goals..Fleury woke up and played great after first period..again shhhhhh one of the top goaltenders just woke up..i see a win streak coming for the pens….

17. phillyphever - Apr 19, 2012 at 6:48 PM

1) He should have been suspended. Gutless act.

2) Suspended or not, he’s lost his job now. Welcome back JVR.

18. tk1966 - Apr 19, 2012 at 6:55 PM

If the league really was all about doing everything in favor of the Pens (as has been claimed by many clueless and moronic posters), then Rinaldo most certainly would have been suspended (as well as Neal would have only been fined). I guess the Penguins favoritism theory has officially been shown to be total BS.

19. myvickinabox14 - Apr 19, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Classy bro, and was not is.

20. myvickinabox14 - Apr 19, 2012 at 7:15 PM

I guess it helps if I say it right, is, not was. As in, I am currently serving for your freedom. Yea, yours. Thumbs down bro. Thumbs down 👎

21. puckyouall - Apr 19, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Didn’t Asham cut his teeth with the Flyers? Wonder where he learned that move? Right to be suspended though. Funny to hear both sides try to justify the garbage of their goons.

• mattdaddy7 - Apr 19, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Asham played two meaningless years with the Flyers and played that way long before and now after he was there…nice try, though.

• puckyouall - Apr 19, 2012 at 10:19 PM

So were the years meaningless because of the team or Asham? Are you saying it’s meaningless to play for the Flyers or was he personally a meaningless player?

22. bellivi - Apr 20, 2012 at 1:58 AM

repeat offender nothing happens? Ramming Zetterbergs head into the board twice? Hell that’s okay too? Welcome to the NHL

23. matthewmacisaac - Apr 20, 2012 at 4:26 AM

I’m a Flyers fan and I cringed when Rinaldo gave the extra shot to the head. He lost control and that’s where I thought he was going to get suspended. I have to say the penguin fans have a right to be pissed about no discipline, but that does not absolve Asham, so I don’t want to hear the “If Asham got 4 games…” because he was so far over the line, he embarrassed the game.

• bgoat88 - Apr 21, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Defending a player during the play is embarrassing? I think this chippy stuff after the whistle is embarrassing. Get your business done during the play. Stop crying about it afterwards.

24. tsi431 - Apr 20, 2012 at 7:17 AM

To me, it’s not about whether the penalty minutes were enough. It’s that he basically wasn’t punished at all. The Flyers were down by a dozen or so, missing the last 10 minutes of the game wasn’t going to be punishment. Making him sit the next game would be punishment. He had no remorse, and basically said he will do it again, if put in the same situation.

25. bgoat88 - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:58 PM

I honestly think that any penalties accrued after the whistle should be taken much more seriously as it shows a lack of discipline. Why Rinaldo wasn’t suspended for this hit is beyond me. Just today Torres got a 25 game suspension for a hit that happened during play. He was a repeat offender and so is Rinaldo. The league doesn’t care because Michalek’s name isn’t Hossa.

Next steps for the Oilers after Eakins