Apr 19, 2012, 12:03 PM EDT
Another day, another goaltending switch in the NHL playoffs.
This time the change comes in Florida, as George Richards of the Miami Herald reports Scott Clemmensen will start for the Panthers in Game 4 against New Jersey — this after incumbent No. 1 Jose Theodore started the first three.
It’s somewhat surprising Florida head coach Kevin Dineen went this route. Theodore played well in Game 1, which featured one of the most lopsided periods in NHL history — the Devils outshot Florida 26-9, the most shots any NHL team had managed in a playoff first period since 1997 — and finished with 35 saves.
Theodore was solid again in the Game 2 victory, but then yanked just 6:16 into Game 3 after allowing three goals on six shots.
Clemmensen relieved Theodore, stopped every shot he faced, and the Panthers rallied for a 4-3 victory — which looks as though it cemented Dineen’s decision.
The big x-factor in all of this, though, is playoff experience…or lack thereof. The 34-year-old Clemmensen has never started a playoff game and, coming into this series, had exactly six minutes and 53 seconds of postseason experience.
Theodore, meanwhile, has over 50 postseason games on his resume, participating in the playoffs with four different teams (Montreal, Colorado, Washington and Florida.)
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 28
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 111
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 79
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (111)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (79)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)