Apr 19, 2012, 8:01 PM EST
It’s unlikely that he’d top Zdeno Chara‘s record-breaking blasts, but if the All-Star Game’s hardest shooting competition drew in the hardest shooters period (All-Star or not), Florida Panthers defenseman Jason Garrison probably would’ve been invited. The hard-shooting blueliner already has a playoff goal on 10 shots and scored 16 during the regular season, so he might be missed in Game 4 against the New Jersey Devils.
His absence wasn’t an expected thing, either. Garrison is reportedly dealing with a lower-body injury, but Panthers GM Dale Tallon told George Richards he was “surprised as ‘you’ were” about the unhealthy scratch.
Garrison isn’t a household name by any means, but great power play point depth is a big reason why the Panthers are in the playoffs. The hard-shooting 27-year-old had one of the man advantage tallies that made Florida a perfect 3-for-3 on Tuesday.
Assuming this is an injury and isn’t an internal matter, the Panthers have to hope they’ll have Garrison back on Saturday – whether they’re up 3-1 or tied 2-2 in the series.
- Video: Dustin Brown ejected for kneeing, Tomas Hertl won’t return (update) 57
- No supplemental discipline for Caps’ Wilson 30
- Habs healthy scratch Briere for first time this season 7
- Chiarelli says he’s not trading Marchand 21
- Schenn to play tonight; Oates maintains Wilson hit was ‘totally clean’ 54
- Video: ‘The message is not being heard’ when it comes to illegal hits, suspensions 53
- Video: Kunitz collides with Rangers’ goalie Lundqvist in overtime (Updated) 60
- Discuss: Penguins outlast Rangers in the shootout on NBCSN Rivalry Night 43
- Video: Jagr passes Yzerman for eighth on NHL goals list 12
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 17
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (103)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)