Apr 19, 2012, 5:51 PM EDT
Add the Governor General of Canada to the list of those decrying the violence we’ve seen in the first round of the NHL playoffs.
“When our kids see this beautiful game where the idea is to injure someone, or to escalate the level of conflict every time the play stops, it’s just not the way we raise our children,” David Johnston told the Canadian Press.
Johnston, 70, played hockey at Harvard, where he was the captain of the varsity team.
He also suffered three concussions as a teenager from playing hockey and football.
To be clear, Johnston doesn’t want to remove the physical elements of the game, just the fighting and unnecessary violence.
“[Hockey’s] rough in the right sense. It’s fast and there are collisions,” he said. “Hockey is not a violent game. … It has no place for fighting. If you want to fight, go in a boxing ring.”
If you’re wondering, the governor general is the queen’s representative.
The queen has yet to comment on the NHL playoffs.
Though apparently she’s a big Kings fan.
I’ll show my way out.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 4
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 38
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 8
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)