Apr 19, 2012, 1:03 PM EDT
James van Riemsdyk is itching to get back in the Flyers lineup.
That was the word from practice today as JVR skated on a line with Matt Read and Jakub Voracek, a spot that had been filled by rookie forward Eric Wellwood in Wednesday’s 10-3 loss to Pittsburgh.
van Riemsdyk, 22, hasn’t played since Mar. 1 after breaking his foot against the Islanders but told Flyers beat writer Dave Isaac he “wants to be in” for Friday’s Game 5 when the Flyers look to eliminate the Penguins at CONSOL Energy Center.
It’s believed JVR would’ve been able to play in Game 4 had Peter Laviolette chose to go that route — van Riemsdyk took part in a full practice prior to the contest, but the Flyers bench boss didn’t want to change the lineup that’d won three straight.
“I’m just taking it day-by-day right now,” JVR told NHL.com prior to Game 4. “I’m on the right path so I’m just going to keep worrying about that. You just have to take it one game at a time and when your number gets called be ready to go.”
There are a couple of options for Philly to work van Riemsdyk back into the lineup. One could be a straight swap with Wellwood, who went minus-1 in 13:06 of action on Wednesday, while another could be inserting JVR and removing Zac Rinaldo, who’s lack of discipline has been a problem throughout the series (46 PIM through four games.)
If van Riemsdyk does return for Game 5, it’ll add extra firepower to an already explosive Flyers offense. He tied for the team lead in goalscoring last postseason (7G in 11GP) and was tabbed by many as Philadelphia’s best player throughout.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 7
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 13
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 27
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 16
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 8
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)