Apr 19, 2012, 10:54 PM EDT
It hasn’t been pretty the whole time – this is just the second series* in which the first four games all went to overtime – but the Phoenix Coyotes are just one win away from their first series victory since they became the Phoenix Coyotes. (They were last victors as the Winnipeg Jets in 1987.)
The Chicago Blackhawks stormed back from a 2-0 deficit with yet another late goal to make it interesting, but the Coyotes could close this series out in Phoenix in Game 5 now that they have a 3-1 series lead thanks to a 3-2 OT win.
- Corey Crawford hasn’t been that bad, unless you just put together a montage of the OT goals he’s allowed. Has goaltending been the difference of this series?
- Speaking of differences, will Mikkel Boedker‘s name become a bad word in Chicago? He has two straight overtime game-winners.
- The only bummer for Phoenix is that they coughed up a late one-goal lead for the third time in third close-out opportunities. Should Dave Tippett re-consider that “hold your breath and hope nothing bad happens” strategy?
- Can the Blackhawks come back in this series like they’ve come back in games?
* – The Toronto Maple Leafs and Montreal Canadiens went to overtime in all five games of their 1951 Stanley Cup finals series.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)