Apr 19, 2012, 9:33 PM EDT
It’s starting to feel like the Florida Panthers and New Jersey Devils might be in for an unlikely seven game showdown in the first round. Game 4 may just rank as the first time that things went as expected, though: the Devils took a 1-0 lead into the third period and then bolstered it to a 4-0 win to tie the series at 2-2.
As always, you’re welcome to develop your own stump speeches, but here are a few bullet points to whet your whistle.
- Martin Brodeur might not be in his prime anymore, but he still seems like a great bounce-back goalie. After getting pulled in Game 3, Brody set a new playoff record with his 24th shutout.
- While the Devils can feel better about their netminding situation, the Panthers must feel unsettled. Scott Clemmensen unraveled a bit in the third. Should Florida switch back to Jose Theodore or stick with Clemmensen?
- Is this a sign that the Devils are ready to assert their seemingly considerable talent/on-paper edge on the Panthers or is this series likely to be a seesaw matchup? Who do you think will take it?
- The Panthers played without late-scratch Jason Garrison and Keaton Ellerby was injured during the contest. Could depth be an issue for Florida?
- New Jersey stars Ilya Kovalchuk and Zach Parise scored. If they get going, could the Devils regain their dark horse potential?
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)