Apr 19, 2012, 9:33 PM EDT
It’s starting to feel like the Florida Panthers and New Jersey Devils might be in for an unlikely seven game showdown in the first round. Game 4 may just rank as the first time that things went as expected, though: the Devils took a 1-0 lead into the third period and then bolstered it to a 4-0 win to tie the series at 2-2.
As always, you’re welcome to develop your own stump speeches, but here are a few bullet points to whet your whistle.
- Martin Brodeur might not be in his prime anymore, but he still seems like a great bounce-back goalie. After getting pulled in Game 3, Brody set a new playoff record with his 24th shutout.
- While the Devils can feel better about their netminding situation, the Panthers must feel unsettled. Scott Clemmensen unraveled a bit in the third. Should Florida switch back to Jose Theodore or stick with Clemmensen?
- Is this a sign that the Devils are ready to assert their seemingly considerable talent/on-paper edge on the Panthers or is this series likely to be a seesaw matchup? Who do you think will take it?
- The Panthers played without late-scratch Jason Garrison and Keaton Ellerby was injured during the contest. Could depth be an issue for Florida?
- New Jersey stars Ilya Kovalchuk and Zach Parise scored. If they get going, could the Devils regain their dark horse potential?
- Five big games to watch this weekend 3
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 28
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 28
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 34
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 52
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 16
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (52)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)