Apr 19, 2012, 9:38 PM EDT
Martin Brodeur isn’t the goaltender he used to be, but he still has something left to give. He proved that on Thursday when he turned aside 26 shots in New Jersey’s 4-0 victory. It was the perfect example of what he’s meant to the NHL and where his career stands now.
Brodeur earned his 24th career playoff shutout, which is one more than Patrick Roy and a new NHL record. That’s yet another mark that NHL goaltenders will chase long after he’s retired.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
It’s also a sign that he’s not quite finished despite his struggles in this series. Brodeur was yanked from Game 3 on Tuesday after surrendering three goals in a little over two periods. The game was still tied at 3-3 at that point and a decade ago, Brodeur probably wouldn’t have been pulled under those circumstances, but times have changed.
The Devils aren’t usually listed as one of the Stanley Cup favorites, but they shouldn’t be overlooked. This could be Brodeur’s last hurrah and it looks like he still has a bit of gas left in the tank.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 10
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 55
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)