Apr 19, 2012, 9:38 PM EST
Martin Brodeur isn’t the goaltender he used to be, but he still has something left to give. He proved that on Thursday when he turned aside 26 shots in New Jersey’s 4-0 victory. It was the perfect example of what he’s meant to the NHL and where his career stands now.
Brodeur earned his 24th career playoff shutout, which is one more than Patrick Roy and a new NHL record. That’s yet another mark that NHL goaltenders will chase long after he’s retired.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
It’s also a sign that he’s not quite finished despite his struggles in this series. Brodeur was yanked from Game 3 on Tuesday after surrendering three goals in a little over two periods. The game was still tied at 3-3 at that point and a decade ago, Brodeur probably wouldn’t have been pulled under those circumstances, but times have changed.
The Devils aren’t usually listed as one of the Stanley Cup favorites, but they shouldn’t be overlooked. This could be Brodeur’s last hurrah and it looks like he still has a bit of gas left in the tank.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (120)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)