Apr 19, 2012, 9:38 PM EDT
Martin Brodeur isn’t the goaltender he used to be, but he still has something left to give. He proved that on Thursday when he turned aside 26 shots in New Jersey’s 4-0 victory. It was the perfect example of what he’s meant to the NHL and where his career stands now.
Brodeur earned his 24th career playoff shutout, which is one more than Patrick Roy and a new NHL record. That’s yet another mark that NHL goaltenders will chase long after he’s retired.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
It’s also a sign that he’s not quite finished despite his struggles in this series. Brodeur was yanked from Game 3 on Tuesday after surrendering three goals in a little over two periods. The game was still tied at 3-3 at that point and a decade ago, Brodeur probably wouldn’t have been pulled under those circumstances, but times have changed.
The Devils aren’t usually listed as one of the Stanley Cup favorites, but they shouldn’t be overlooked. This could be Brodeur’s last hurrah and it looks like he still has a bit of gas left in the tank.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 12
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 6
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 34
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)