Apr 19, 2012, 9:38 PM EST
Martin Brodeur isn’t the goaltender he used to be, but he still has something left to give. He proved that on Thursday when he turned aside 26 shots in New Jersey’s 4-0 victory. It was the perfect example of what he’s meant to the NHL and where his career stands now.
Brodeur earned his 24th career playoff shutout, which is one more than Patrick Roy and a new NHL record. That’s yet another mark that NHL goaltenders will chase long after he’s retired.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
It’s also a sign that he’s not quite finished despite his struggles in this series. Brodeur was yanked from Game 3 on Tuesday after surrendering three goals in a little over two periods. The game was still tied at 3-3 at that point and a decade ago, Brodeur probably wouldn’t have been pulled under those circumstances, but times have changed.
The Devils aren’t usually listed as one of the Stanley Cup favorites, but they shouldn’t be overlooked. This could be Brodeur’s last hurrah and it looks like he still has a bit of gas left in the tank.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 155
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 123
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (155)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (126)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)