Apr 18, 2012, 11:57 AM EDT
It’s been a tough season for Washington’s Mike Knuble. The veteran forward was a savvy acquisition when he arrived with the Capitals, viewed to be a guy that could help both on the ice and in the locker room. This season, however, he’s been more of a press box cheerleader than a player.
With the Caps down 2-1 in their series with Boston and now going without Nicklas Backstrom in Game 4 thanks to a suspension, CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley reports that Knuble will get a shot to prove he can be a playoff contributor once again.
Knuble, a healthy scratch in each of the Capitals’ three playoff games, along with the final game of the regular season, practiced on the left wing on a fourth line with center Keith Aucoin and right wing Joel Ward.
Being on the fourth line means not seeing too many minutes, but for Knuble going against one of his former teams in the postseason means getting an extra dose of motivation. If Knuble can inspire the Caps to do as he does and crash the net looking for rebounds, Washington just might be able to tie this series up heading back to Boston.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (90)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)