Apr 18, 2012, 11:57 AM EDT
It’s been a tough season for Washington’s Mike Knuble. The veteran forward was a savvy acquisition when he arrived with the Capitals, viewed to be a guy that could help both on the ice and in the locker room. This season, however, he’s been more of a press box cheerleader than a player.
With the Caps down 2-1 in their series with Boston and now going without Nicklas Backstrom in Game 4 thanks to a suspension, CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley reports that Knuble will get a shot to prove he can be a playoff contributor once again.
Knuble, a healthy scratch in each of the Capitals’ three playoff games, along with the final game of the regular season, practiced on the left wing on a fourth line with center Keith Aucoin and right wing Joel Ward.
Being on the fourth line means not seeing too many minutes, but for Knuble going against one of his former teams in the postseason means getting an extra dose of motivation. If Knuble can inspire the Caps to do as he does and crash the net looking for rebounds, Washington just might be able to tie this series up heading back to Boston.
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 1
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 49
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)