Apr 18, 2012, 11:57 AM EST
It’s been a tough season for Washington’s Mike Knuble. The veteran forward was a savvy acquisition when he arrived with the Capitals, viewed to be a guy that could help both on the ice and in the locker room. This season, however, he’s been more of a press box cheerleader than a player.
With the Caps down 2-1 in their series with Boston and now going without Nicklas Backstrom in Game 4 thanks to a suspension, CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley reports that Knuble will get a shot to prove he can be a playoff contributor once again.
Knuble, a healthy scratch in each of the Capitals’ three playoff games, along with the final game of the regular season, practiced on the left wing on a fourth line with center Keith Aucoin and right wing Joel Ward.
Being on the fourth line means not seeing too many minutes, but for Knuble going against one of his former teams in the postseason means getting an extra dose of motivation. If Knuble can inspire the Caps to do as he does and crash the net looking for rebounds, Washington just might be able to tie this series up heading back to Boston.
- Video: Dustin Brown ejected for kneeing, Tomas Hertl won’t return (update) 12
- No supplemental discipline for Caps’ Wilson 28
- Habs healthy scratch Briere for first time this season 6
- Chiarelli says he’s not trading Marchand 20
- Schenn to play tonight; Oates maintains Wilson hit was ‘totally clean’ 52
- Video: ‘The message is not being heard’ when it comes to illegal hits, suspensions 52
- Video: Kunitz collides with Rangers’ goalie Lundqvist in overtime (Updated) 58
- Discuss: Penguins outlast Rangers in the shootout on NBCSN Rivalry Night 43
- Video: Jagr passes Yzerman for eighth on NHL goals list 12
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 16
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (103)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)