Apr 18, 2012, 11:57 AM EST
It’s been a tough season for Washington’s Mike Knuble. The veteran forward was a savvy acquisition when he arrived with the Capitals, viewed to be a guy that could help both on the ice and in the locker room. This season, however, he’s been more of a press box cheerleader than a player.
With the Caps down 2-1 in their series with Boston and now going without Nicklas Backstrom in Game 4 thanks to a suspension, CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley reports that Knuble will get a shot to prove he can be a playoff contributor once again.
Knuble, a healthy scratch in each of the Capitals’ three playoff games, along with the final game of the regular season, practiced on the left wing on a fourth line with center Keith Aucoin and right wing Joel Ward.
Being on the fourth line means not seeing too many minutes, but for Knuble going against one of his former teams in the postseason means getting an extra dose of motivation. If Knuble can inspire the Caps to do as he does and crash the net looking for rebounds, Washington just might be able to tie this series up heading back to Boston.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 65
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (149)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)