Apr 18, 2012, 5:50 PM EST
Recently, Joe O’Connor of the National Post spoke with Walter Gretzky — father of Wayne, Order of Canada recipient, often regarded as the most famous hockey dad of all time.
Now 73, Walter (or Walter…or Wally…or Doughhead, as he requested O’Connor to call him) has done enough and seen enough to build up an impressive library of stories, tales and anecdotes.
And one-liners about the Toronto Maple Leafs, apparently.
From the Post:
O’Connor: Do you watch much hockey?
Gretzky: I go to the Air Canada Centre and watch the Leafs play. Isn’t that something, that rink is filled all the time?
Do you know the difference between the Leafs and the Titanic? Nothing. They both go down as soon as they hit the ice.
You know how you can tell it’s springtime in Toronto [laughing]? All the Leafs are out.
You know the difference between the Leafs and my lawnmower? Nothing. They both spend the winter in the basement.
I bet Walter Gretzky would be a sweet drinking buddy.
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 22
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 4
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 13
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 53
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 41
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (41)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (38)