Apr 18, 2012, 5:50 PM EDT
Recently, Joe O’Connor of the National Post spoke with Walter Gretzky — father of Wayne, Order of Canada recipient, often regarded as the most famous hockey dad of all time.
Now 73, Walter (or Walter…or Wally…or Doughhead, as he requested O’Connor to call him) has done enough and seen enough to build up an impressive library of stories, tales and anecdotes.
And one-liners about the Toronto Maple Leafs, apparently.
From the Post:
O’Connor: Do you watch much hockey?
Gretzky: I go to the Air Canada Centre and watch the Leafs play. Isn’t that something, that rink is filled all the time?
Do you know the difference between the Leafs and the Titanic? Nothing. They both go down as soon as they hit the ice.
You know how you can tell it’s springtime in Toronto [laughing]? All the Leafs are out.
You know the difference between the Leafs and my lawnmower? Nothing. They both spend the winter in the basement.
I bet Walter Gretzky would be a sweet drinking buddy.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 20
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 47
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)