Apr 18, 2012, 5:50 PM EDT
Recently, Joe O’Connor of the National Post spoke with Walter Gretzky — father of Wayne, Order of Canada recipient, often regarded as the most famous hockey dad of all time.
Now 73, Walter (or Walter…or Wally…or Doughhead, as he requested O’Connor to call him) has done enough and seen enough to build up an impressive library of stories, tales and anecdotes.
And one-liners about the Toronto Maple Leafs, apparently.
From the Post:
O’Connor: Do you watch much hockey?
Gretzky: I go to the Air Canada Centre and watch the Leafs play. Isn’t that something, that rink is filled all the time?
Do you know the difference between the Leafs and the Titanic? Nothing. They both go down as soon as they hit the ice.
You know how you can tell it’s springtime in Toronto [laughing]? All the Leafs are out.
You know the difference between the Leafs and my lawnmower? Nothing. They both spend the winter in the basement.
I bet Walter Gretzky would be a sweet drinking buddy.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 0
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)