Apr 18, 2012, 5:50 PM EDT
Recently, Joe O’Connor of the National Post spoke with Walter Gretzky — father of Wayne, Order of Canada recipient, often regarded as the most famous hockey dad of all time.
Now 73, Walter (or Walter…or Wally…or Doughhead, as he requested O’Connor to call him) has done enough and seen enough to build up an impressive library of stories, tales and anecdotes.
And one-liners about the Toronto Maple Leafs, apparently.
From the Post:
O’Connor: Do you watch much hockey?
Gretzky: I go to the Air Canada Centre and watch the Leafs play. Isn’t that something, that rink is filled all the time?
Do you know the difference between the Leafs and the Titanic? Nothing. They both go down as soon as they hit the ice.
You know how you can tell it’s springtime in Toronto [laughing]? All the Leafs are out.
You know the difference between the Leafs and my lawnmower? Nothing. They both spend the winter in the basement.
I bet Walter Gretzky would be a sweet drinking buddy.
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 8
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 20
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 52
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 78
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 49
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional