Tyson Nash received death threats for saying Torres’ hit on Hossa was clean

Apr 18, 2012, 1:04 PM EDT

Phoenix Coyotes v Anaheim Ducks Getty Images

Former NHLer and current Phoenix Coyotes broadcaster Tyson Nash received death threats for initially saying Raffi Torres’ hit on Marian Hossa was “as clean of a hit as you’re going to get.”.

“You have to love the Twitter world,” Nash told The Waddle and Silvy Show this morning on ESPN 1000. “I had a few people mentioning they’ll be meeting me for breakfast, so we’ll see how that goes.”

(You can listen to the entire interview here.)

Upon further review, Nash concedes that Torres left his feet and, if he could, he’d take back what he said.

However, he wouldn’t criticize the hit much further, and he thinks some onus should be put on Hossa for turning back to the play with his head down.

That Nash received death threats on Twitter is no real surprise. Without going into a huge explanation, a lot of people on Twitter are idiots.

1. ron05342 - Apr 18, 2012 at 1:13 PM

I listened to the interview and now I think even less of him. All he is doing is backpedaling and making excuses for his error.

And minimizing what Torres did…by saying, “is it a half-inch or is it an inch (high, as in leaving the ice surface)” …I mean come on, Tyson. Do you realize how stupid you sound? Either you stand by what you said, or you do a full mea culpa. This half-ass back-pedaling makes you look pathetic.

• hockeyflow33 - Apr 18, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Or since he’s way above ice-level making comments as they happen, he’s given wiggle room when he makes an incorrect statement

• johnguelff - Apr 18, 2012 at 1:38 PM

they watch the monitors, not the ice….no excuses….lol what do you think they sit up there with binoculars lolz

2. challer9 - Apr 18, 2012 at 1:27 PM

I’m trying to figure out how anyone can say that Hossa had his head down, if you watch the video he clearly doesn’t.

• balewsquare - Apr 18, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Yeah I didn’t pay too much attention to that cause the hit is dirty either way, but you’re absolutely right – Hossa’s looking straight up. That’s why they have rule 48 for blindside hits. This has nothing to do with Hossa keeping his head up – it is up.

3. comeonnowguys - Apr 18, 2012 at 1:31 PM

It’s still not nearly as bad as the Kings’ announcers accusing Seabrook of “selling it” after he fell unconscious to the ice after Wisniewski ran at him from the blue line.

• ron05342 - Apr 18, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Wisniewski doesn’t play for the Kings. To what incident are you referring to?

• comeonnowguys - Apr 18, 2012 at 1:49 PM

• balewsquare - Apr 18, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Holy crap I’ve never heard that feed before…ridiculous.

• dmcannon99 - Apr 18, 2012 at 2:12 PM

First, the DUCKS announcer did not accuse anybody of anything, he was asking a question (due to the fact that he went down like a sack of potatos but then got up like nothing happened). Secondly, when tossing out accusations of your own, you might want to be sure you know what you are talking about…at least try to get the teams right. Considering Seabrook got up pretty quickly, I doubt he was unconscious, either, although he might have been dazed.

And while that was a pretty nasty hit, Seabrook looked pretty good both on the ice and over on the bench after the supposedly got clocked. But hey, if it was an acting job, I gotta admit that it was pretty good…wobbly knees and all.

• dmcannon99 - Apr 18, 2012 at 2:36 PM

You can all enjoy giving me a thumbs down, that’s fine. I wasn’t justifying the hit, but pointing out that the post was wrong (try watching the video, then tell me what the announcer actually said – and where there were any Kings on the ice). Even if Seabrook was getting payback, maybe he didn’t deserve it. Or, maybe, if it was your team, you would feel different about it. And, no, I am not a Ducks fan…I just dislike people throwing junk around that isn’t true. Maybe others enjoy it.

• Chip Caray's Eyebrows - Apr 18, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Now it sounds like you’re trying to sell something …

• kitshky - Apr 18, 2012 at 3:51 PM

The thumbs down come when they don’t agree with you or just simply dont want to hear anything that flies in the face of their utter bias. You’re absolutely right.

(and at the risk of sounding as repetitive as ‘habsman’ … it’s probably just the mass media access that’s available now but I’ve never seen an era of hockey fans with such selective outrage in my life)

• comeonnowguys - Apr 18, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Is this thing on? Third try incoming.

I love it that you think that an opinion that disagrees with yours is utter bias, but “you are absolutely right.” No hypocrisy there.

2) Watching late-starting overtime games finally led to a brain fart. Was bound to happen, as much as I spam here. If you’re hanging your hat on the fact that I grabbed the wrong SoCal team in a quick comment which was correctly identified in a following video.

3) “Quickly got up?” Sure if you call a moment or two to fall, a few moments to roll over to his stomach, a few moments to get to all fours and proceed from there “quickly got up.

4) The announcer Cavuto’d it, which is basically making a statement but couching it as a question to cover his backside. Ex: “Does Rafi Torres prefer livestock?”

5) Looked good on the bench? Yeah, that faraway, glassy-eyed gaze while they’re screwing his helmet looks great.

But yeah, since I typed Kings when I meant Ducks makes everything else wrong. Wonderful.

I haven’t thumbed you down yet, but I think I may now. I hope it doesn’t hurt your feelings.

• comeonnowguys - Apr 18, 2012 at 4:51 PM

P.S. All this is pedantry is obscuring the fact that the people giving the death threats are meatball idiots.

• kitshky - Apr 18, 2012 at 4:56 PM

You only think that people giving death threats are idiots because you’re biased of idiots … or something like that.

• comeonnowguys - Apr 18, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Fair enough. I’ll own that.

• wisbadgers - Apr 18, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Uhm…Seabrook totally sold that hit from Wisniewski. Either that, or Seabrook has a glass jaw and is soft. Actually, now I’m not so sure, Seabrook is pretty soft.

4. mathpete13 - Apr 18, 2012 at 1:55 PM

selling it…that was a VERY good acting job if so…he looked like he’d been practicing the “passed out on my feet routine for years” but seriously…dirty hit…NO acting…just bad hockey

the hit on Perry wasn’t great, most likely would have been an ejection/suspension this year…it still doesn’t justify Wizzer’s hit

5. florida727 - Apr 18, 2012 at 4:19 PM

“Without going into a huge explanation, a lot of people on Twitter are idiots.”

————————————————–

Arguably, one of the most astute observations ever posted on PHT :)

6. johnnyru131 - Apr 18, 2012 at 6:10 PM

What you guys don’t realize is that concussions can take a couple days to show up. It happened with my son and it also happened with Toews where he played a couple games until he started experiencing that concussion.

Bettman hears the boos in Philly
Top 10 NHL Player Searches