Apr 18, 2012, 1:25 PM EST
As PHT wrote earlier today, Brendan Shanahan has all he needs to throw the book at Raffi Torres.
It appears he’s preparing to do just that.
The NHL discipline czar has suspended Torres indefinitely pending an in-person hearing on Friday, Apr. 20. The hearing, which had been planned for today, was deferred at the request of Torres and the National Hockey League Players’ Association — meaning the indefinite suspension will carry through Game 4 between the Coyotes and Blackhawks, to be played Thursday in Chicago.
The in-person hearing opens the door for Shanahan to suspend Torres for five games or more.
Torres, 30, could be in line for a massive punishment. He’s a repeat offender, having been suspended twice and fined once over the last 12 months. He also holds the reputation as a predatory checker that targets the head on plays where he’s not punished (like his hits on Brent Seabrook and Milan Michalek).
The optics surrounding his hit on Hossa are damning. The Chicago forward appeared unresponsive after being hit and was stretchered off the ice before heading to local hospital. Meanwhile, Torres went unpenalized and continued playing, finishing with over 20 minutes of ice time.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 124
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 95
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 107
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (180)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (130)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (127)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (115)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (97)