Apr 18, 2012, 1:25 PM EDT
As PHT wrote earlier today, Brendan Shanahan has all he needs to throw the book at Raffi Torres.
It appears he’s preparing to do just that.
The NHL discipline czar has suspended Torres indefinitely pending an in-person hearing on Friday, Apr. 20. The hearing, which had been planned for today, was deferred at the request of Torres and the National Hockey League Players’ Association — meaning the indefinite suspension will carry through Game 4 between the Coyotes and Blackhawks, to be played Thursday in Chicago.
The in-person hearing opens the door for Shanahan to suspend Torres for five games or more.
Torres, 30, could be in line for a massive punishment. He’s a repeat offender, having been suspended twice and fined once over the last 12 months. He also holds the reputation as a predatory checker that targets the head on plays where he’s not punished (like his hits on Brent Seabrook and Milan Michalek).
The optics surrounding his hit on Hossa are damning. The Chicago forward appeared unresponsive after being hit and was stretchered off the ice before heading to local hospital. Meanwhile, Torres went unpenalized and continued playing, finishing with over 20 minutes of ice time.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 5
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 12
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)