Apr 18, 2012, 1:25 PM EDT
As PHT wrote earlier today, Brendan Shanahan has all he needs to throw the book at Raffi Torres.
It appears he’s preparing to do just that.
The NHL discipline czar has suspended Torres indefinitely pending an in-person hearing on Friday, Apr. 20. The hearing, which had been planned for today, was deferred at the request of Torres and the National Hockey League Players’ Association — meaning the indefinite suspension will carry through Game 4 between the Coyotes and Blackhawks, to be played Thursday in Chicago.
The in-person hearing opens the door for Shanahan to suspend Torres for five games or more.
Torres, 30, could be in line for a massive punishment. He’s a repeat offender, having been suspended twice and fined once over the last 12 months. He also holds the reputation as a predatory checker that targets the head on plays where he’s not punished (like his hits on Brent Seabrook and Milan Michalek).
The optics surrounding his hit on Hossa are damning. The Chicago forward appeared unresponsive after being hit and was stretchered off the ice before heading to local hospital. Meanwhile, Torres went unpenalized and continued playing, finishing with over 20 minutes of ice time.
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 11
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 38
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 95
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (95)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)