Torres: “Just trying to finish my hit out there”

Apr 18, 2012, 12:53 AM EDT

playfinishedgetty Getty Images

Aside from the camera shots of him staring out into the ice during the game, there wasn’t much of a sign of how Raffi Torres felt about his controversial hit on Marian Hossa. The Phoenix Coyotes forward has some bad P.R. skins on the wall, so maybe it shouldn’t be surprising that his comments were pretty predictable.

Chris Kuc transcribed his thoughts:

“I felt like it was a hockey play, just trying to finish my hit out there,” Torres said.

Torres’ stated goal wasn’t to a) make friends, b) endear himself to Chicago residents or c) avoid any heat from the NHL, so he shouldn’t be disappointed.

So what should the league do about Torres and his “hit-finishing” ways?

1. realnostalgia - Apr 18, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Torres is a cun*

• vanfoodman - Apr 18, 2012 at 3:16 AM

Female genitalia has nothing to do with Torres hit. He’s a person with little regard for his fellow human beings and should be in a hospital being examine by mental health professionals not earning millions of dollars as a professional athlete.

2. lasallehockey81 - Apr 18, 2012 at 1:03 AM

Ouch. Wrong answer, Raffi.

3. comeonnowguys - Apr 18, 2012 at 1:27 AM

He really is a worthless piece of sh!t.

4. mathpete13 - Apr 18, 2012 at 1:28 AM

I’m having a hard time determining what is the most disgusting part of this matchup:

1) Brendan
    2) The officiating
    3) Smith
    4) Raffi
    5) all of the above

Wonder what the dart board has in store for Raffi???
    My guess…a slap on the wrist if anything.

• hockeyflow33 - Apr 18, 2012 at 9:40 AM

I would guess Torres since he was the only person involved with the actual hit

5. erk877 - Apr 18, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Give him thirty seconds with Adam McQuaid.

• erk877 - Apr 18, 2012 at 1:44 AM

This is how you deal with Torres.

• charliereno - Apr 18, 2012 at 1:47 AM

That made me smile. It also makes me wish that Danny Carcillo wasn’t hurt right now.

• comeonnowguys - Apr 18, 2012 at 9:39 AM

I don’t. I’m still embarrassed he’s on the Blackhawks.

6. gbiscottagecheesefatties - Apr 18, 2012 at 1:43 AM

enjoying sitting this and the next series out…………….. oh what, Shanahan is in charge. I mean enjoy your 2-3 game suspension for a repeat offender

• tangentmechanic - Apr 18, 2012 at 7:47 AM

Shanahan is going to call Torres into his office and give him a steak dinner.

7. thehighcountrybear - Apr 18, 2012 at 2:48 AM

Freudian slip…? What Torres really meant was he was ‘trying to finish the czech’? Oh right, they separated so Hossa’s now a Slovak. All the same, get well Marian and get even…by eliminating the Coyotes if for no other reason than having the bad manners in giving Torres a job in the first place!

8. sippindasyzurp - Apr 18, 2012 at 8:15 AM

Yep… It sure was a “hockey play” in this era of the NHL…

9. mojosmagic - Apr 18, 2012 at 8:32 AM

The guy is s POS who should be thrown out of the league. In the old days before all the rule changes the players dished out their own form of justice and plays like we see today didn’t exist. A turd like Tores wouldn’t have survived because he has no respect for the game.

10. drewsylvania - Apr 18, 2012 at 8:39 AM

How come nobody’s mentioning that Hossa had his head down?

Torres really didn’t jump much–it’s no different than all the hits Kronwall has made that were determined to be legal.

• duster1982 - Apr 18, 2012 at 8:54 AM

Hossa didnt even have the puck. Its not like he was flying up ice with his head down on a rush.

• hsnepts - Apr 18, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Niether did Sedin. I didnt hear from coach Q how bad the reffing was when Keith got only 2 minutes.

• drewsylvania - Apr 18, 2012 at 12:21 PM

No, but he had just given up the puck. There’s even less excuse to have your head down when you *don’t* have the puck.

11. drewsylvania - Apr 18, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Has anyone asked Scott Stevens what he thinks of today’s NHL?

12. mojosmagic - Apr 18, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Scott Stevens wasn’t the old days kid. He was the beginning of the new rules. Ask Dave Schultz what he thinks. A good bench clearing pounding the crap out of Torres would have cleared things up and the rest of the series would have been good hockey.

• drewsylvania - Apr 18, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Did I say he was the old days? I’m just referring to the kinds of hits he made.

13. emperorzero - Apr 18, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Torres is scum. I know it’s the playoffs, but if I was a teammate of Hossa’s, I’d make sure Torres also left the ice on a stretcher. That might not be the political correct statement, but clearly the league isn’t going to do anything about him so I’d do something about it before he does it again.

14. effthenfl - Apr 18, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Torres is a piece of ****. But I have to say that every other series has 2 teams battling for a win every night. I’ve been a Hawks fan for over 20 years and I have never seen a more passive style of hockey from them – ever! Its embarrassing. Coach Q – I know you are trying to rise above the thuggery but please for love of god send someone out to deliver a physical message to the other team that you’re not going to let your star players get leveled with no retribution!! I can’t stomach watching our guys not finish checks and getting intimated on every play.

15. dukh8r - Apr 18, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Looked like good old “charging” to me… as long as Torres is not hitting a fan over the head with a shoe……wait…that’s not a bad thing either…congrads NHL you are no longer “Wussified”

Bettman hears the boos in Philly
Top 10 NHL Player Searches