Apr 18, 2012, 1:17 AM EST
Jonathan Toews is generally described as a great player, a fantastic Chicago Blackhawks captain and something of a cliche machine. Yet when it comes to the Raffi Torres hit on Marian Hossa, he had a few very frank and interesting things to say.
Perhaps most importantly, Toews gave Adam Jahns an honest but far-from-shocking update on Hossa.
“We don’t expect him back anytime soon,” Toews said. “That was a scary thing to go through.”
When asked for his take on the Torres hit and how the NHL will address the situation, Toews exhibited a serious sense of exhaustion. It seemed like he fell somewhere between Joel Quenneville’s fury and Patrick Kane‘s diplomacy. Jahns provided some interesting quotes here, too.
Toews on a possible suspension for Torres: “I don’t [know] what to expect anymore. I don’t think anyone does.”
(That’s kind of a sick burn for Brendan Shanahan, huh?) NHL commissioner Gary Bettman was on hand for the game tonight. He didn’t go into much detail, but Chris Kuc reports that Bettman said that the league will review the play.
As far as how Torres will conduct his business in the future, Toews probably captured the haggard thoughts of many hockey fans again:
“It wouldn’t surprise me if he tried to do something like that again,” Toews said.
We’ll find out soon enough if Torres will get a chance to do it again in Game 4.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)