Apr 18, 2012, 1:17 AM EDT
Jonathan Toews is generally described as a great player, a fantastic Chicago Blackhawks captain and something of a cliche machine. Yet when it comes to the Raffi Torres hit on Marian Hossa, he had a few very frank and interesting things to say.
Perhaps most importantly, Toews gave Adam Jahns an honest but far-from-shocking update on Hossa.
“We don’t expect him back anytime soon,” Toews said. “That was a scary thing to go through.”
When asked for his take on the Torres hit and how the NHL will address the situation, Toews exhibited a serious sense of exhaustion. It seemed like he fell somewhere between Joel Quenneville’s fury and Patrick Kane‘s diplomacy. Jahns provided some interesting quotes here, too.
Toews on a possible suspension for Torres: “I don’t [know] what to expect anymore. I don’t think anyone does.”
(That’s kind of a sick burn for Brendan Shanahan, huh?) NHL commissioner Gary Bettman was on hand for the game tonight. He didn’t go into much detail, but Chris Kuc reports that Bettman said that the league will review the play.
As far as how Torres will conduct his business in the future, Toews probably captured the haggard thoughts of many hockey fans again:
“It wouldn’t surprise me if he tried to do something like that again,” Toews said.
We’ll find out soon enough if Torres will get a chance to do it again in Game 4.
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 13
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 37
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 49
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 19
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 31
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 96
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 62
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (92)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games