Apr 18, 2012, 12:33 PM EDT
If there’s ever been a layup suspension, Brendan Shanahan’s got one in Raffi Torres.
On second thought, maybe slam-dunk is a better metaphor than layup. Because let’s face it, if he so chooses, Shanahan could tomahawk jam and shatter the backboard with the Coyotes forward who sent Marian Hossa to the hospital last night.
Torres is a multiple repeat offender (James Mirtle of the Globe and Mail calls him a “rerererepeat offender”) that nobody’s going to feel sorry for if Shanahan errs on the side of harsh in his ruling.
Of course, that would open up another avenue of criticism for the embattled league disciplinarian, as there will be those who say he only throws the book at non-essential players. But the alternative, that being leniency, would be far worse for the NHL’s reputation. Suffice to say the media would have a field day with that.
The biggest challenge for Shanahan will be to hand out what he considers a just sentence in the face of so many screaming bloody murder, because you could easily argue there have been worse offenses this season than what we saw last night.
In fact, according to Sportsnet.ca’s Michael Grange, one NHLer thought Torres’ hit was “clean, if a bit late.”
And what’s Hossa’s prognosis? Yes, he went to the hospital, but was he actually seriously hurt? We still don’t know. (Update: Hossa will miss Game 4.)
At this point, it’s impossible to say how long Torres will be suspended. Which come to think of it, might perfectly illustrate the NHL’s problem.
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 4
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 33
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 25
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 45
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 39
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)