Apr 18, 2012, 12:33 PM EDT
If there’s ever been a layup suspension, Brendan Shanahan’s got one in Raffi Torres.
On second thought, maybe slam-dunk is a better metaphor than layup. Because let’s face it, if he so chooses, Shanahan could tomahawk jam and shatter the backboard with the Coyotes forward who sent Marian Hossa to the hospital last night.
Torres is a multiple repeat offender (James Mirtle of the Globe and Mail calls him a “rerererepeat offender”) that nobody’s going to feel sorry for if Shanahan errs on the side of harsh in his ruling.
Of course, that would open up another avenue of criticism for the embattled league disciplinarian, as there will be those who say he only throws the book at non-essential players. But the alternative, that being leniency, would be far worse for the NHL’s reputation. Suffice to say the media would have a field day with that.
The biggest challenge for Shanahan will be to hand out what he considers a just sentence in the face of so many screaming bloody murder, because you could easily argue there have been worse offenses this season than what we saw last night.
In fact, according to Sportsnet.ca’s Michael Grange, one NHLer thought Torres’ hit was “clean, if a bit late.”
And what’s Hossa’s prognosis? Yes, he went to the hospital, but was he actually seriously hurt? We still don’t know. (Update: Hossa will miss Game 4.)
At this point, it’s impossible to say how long Torres will be suspended. Which come to think of it, might perfectly illustrate the NHL’s problem.
- PHT Morning Skate: Two top scoring duos collide in Ducks vs. Stars 0
- Pressing Question: Can the Sharks get over past playoff hurdles? 2
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 8
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 7
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 37
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)