Apr 18, 2012, 12:33 PM EST
If there’s ever been a layup suspension, Brendan Shanahan’s got one in Raffi Torres.
On second thought, maybe slam-dunk is a better metaphor than layup. Because let’s face it, if he so chooses, Shanahan could tomahawk jam and shatter the backboard with the Coyotes forward who sent Marian Hossa to the hospital last night.
Torres is a multiple repeat offender (James Mirtle of the Globe and Mail calls him a “rerererepeat offender”) that nobody’s going to feel sorry for if Shanahan errs on the side of harsh in his ruling.
Of course, that would open up another avenue of criticism for the embattled league disciplinarian, as there will be those who say he only throws the book at non-essential players. But the alternative, that being leniency, would be far worse for the NHL’s reputation. Suffice to say the media would have a field day with that.
The biggest challenge for Shanahan will be to hand out what he considers a just sentence in the face of so many screaming bloody murder, because you could easily argue there have been worse offenses this season than what we saw last night.
In fact, according to Sportsnet.ca’s Michael Grange, one NHLer thought Torres’ hit was “clean, if a bit late.”
And what’s Hossa’s prognosis? Yes, he went to the hospital, but was he actually seriously hurt? We still don’t know. (Update: Hossa will miss Game 4.)
At this point, it’s impossible to say how long Torres will be suspended. Which come to think of it, might perfectly illustrate the NHL’s problem.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 30
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 4
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 12
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 50
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)