Apr 18, 2012, 9:12 AM EDT
Raffi Torres‘ brutal and illegal hit on Marian Hossa infuriated the Chicago Blackhawks thanks to the play not even being penalized. While Hossa was sent to the hospital, Torres was allowed to play on the rest of the night, something Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville did not appreciate in the least.
Following Chicago’s 3-2 overtime loss, Quenneville ripped into the referees of last night’s game, Stephen Walkom and Ian Walsh, for finding a way to blow what should’ve been one of the easiest calls of the postseason. Tracey Myers of CSNChicago.com has the details.
“It was a brutal hit,” Quenneville said. “You can have a multiple choice question it’s ‘All the Above.’”
Quenneville said the Hossa play happened right in front of him in the first period.
“I had a hard time. I saw exactly what happened,” he said. “How four guys missed it tonight, it was hard. The refereeing tonight was a disgrace.”
Walkom and Walsh missing the call is just yet another example of how poor the officials work has been on the ice during the playoffs. Quenneville isn’t the first coach to complain about the referees during the playoffs and at this rate he won’t be the last.
What’s disturbing here is Walkom and Walsh have had complaints against them already in the postseason. Walkom and Walsh worked Game 2 of the Rangers-Senators series that saw things get wildly out of control throughout the game. Now with missing Torres’ illegal hit on Hossa, it’s another mark against him.
In case you’ve forgotten, Walkom is the former NHL head of officiating who resigned from that position to get back on the ice.
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 11
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 40