Apr 18, 2012, 9:12 AM EDT
Raffi Torres‘ brutal and illegal hit on Marian Hossa infuriated the Chicago Blackhawks thanks to the play not even being penalized. While Hossa was sent to the hospital, Torres was allowed to play on the rest of the night, something Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville did not appreciate in the least.
Following Chicago’s 3-2 overtime loss, Quenneville ripped into the referees of last night’s game, Stephen Walkom and Ian Walsh, for finding a way to blow what should’ve been one of the easiest calls of the postseason. Tracey Myers of CSNChicago.com has the details.
“It was a brutal hit,” Quenneville said. “You can have a multiple choice question it’s ‘All the Above.’”
Quenneville said the Hossa play happened right in front of him in the first period.
“I had a hard time. I saw exactly what happened,” he said. “How four guys missed it tonight, it was hard. The refereeing tonight was a disgrace.”
Walkom and Walsh missing the call is just yet another example of how poor the officials work has been on the ice during the playoffs. Quenneville isn’t the first coach to complain about the referees during the playoffs and at this rate he won’t be the last.
What’s disturbing here is Walkom and Walsh have had complaints against them already in the postseason. Walkom and Walsh worked Game 2 of the Rangers-Senators series that saw things get wildly out of control throughout the game. Now with missing Torres’ illegal hit on Hossa, it’s another mark against him.
In case you’ve forgotten, Walkom is the former NHL head of officiating who resigned from that position to get back on the ice.
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 12
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 16
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 77
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 17
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (77)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)