Joel Quenneville: “The refereeing tonight was a disgrace”

Apr 18, 2012, 9:12 AM EDT

Joel Quenneville Getty Images

Raffi Torresbrutal and illegal hit on Marian Hossa infuriated the Chicago Blackhawks thanks to the play not even being penalized. While Hossa was sent to the hospital, Torres was allowed to play on the rest of the night, something Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville did not appreciate in the least.

Following Chicago’s 3-2 overtime loss, Quenneville ripped into the referees of last night’s game, Stephen Walkom and Ian Walsh, for finding a way to blow what should’ve been one of the easiest calls of the postseason. Tracey Myers of CSNChicago.com has the details.

“It was a brutal hit,” Quenneville said. “You can have a multiple choice question it’s ‘All the Above.’”

Quenneville said the Hossa play happened right in front of him in the first period.

“I had a hard time. I saw exactly what happened,” he said. “How four guys missed it tonight, it was hard. The refereeing tonight was a disgrace.”

Walkom and Walsh missing the call is just yet another example of how poor the officials work has been on the ice during the playoffs. Quenneville isn’t the first coach to complain about the referees during the playoffs and at this rate he won’t be the last.

What’s disturbing here is Walkom and Walsh have had complaints against them already in the postseason. Walkom and Walsh worked Game 2 of the Rangers-Senators series that saw things get wildly out of control throughout the game. Now with missing Torres’ illegal hit on Hossa, it’s another mark against him.

In case you’ve forgotten, Walkom is the former NHL head of officiating who resigned from that position to get back on the ice.

1. wingsdjy - Apr 18, 2012 at 9:21 AM

And the ironic thing is, Quenneville’s fine will be at least 4x Raffi’s for saying this. Ridiculous…

• bergeronforselke - Apr 18, 2012 at 9:26 AM

was thinking the same thing. I want to see a story about how much the ref is getting fined for sucking at his job

• michiganhockey11 - Apr 18, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Yeah, but his guys will probably pitch in. I don’t blame Quenneville for saying that at all. It needed to be said.

That’s what happens when you have essentially no veteran referee’s in the NHL right now. No sense of how to keep a game under control. Castrodale said it best-first five days of playoffs-11 game misconduct penalties. Looks like I’m watching a marathon of “Roadhouse” with patrick swayze.

2. comeonnowguys - Apr 18, 2012 at 9:21 AM

It feels like I’m watching an NBA series.

3. emperorzero - Apr 18, 2012 at 9:31 AM

WWE referees are better than these clowns.

4. cweez2 - Apr 18, 2012 at 9:50 AM

You’d think the NHL had a financial stake in Phoenix…oh…

5. davebabychreturns - Apr 18, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Probably should’ve been a charging penalty, or perhaps roughing for being one Rome-on-Horton late.

My guess is that the league suspends Torres because it’s easy – the guy’s a serial offender who is not learning, my guess is the number of guys in the league who actually like him are down to the single digits – throw the book at him because nobody has the balls to suspend a Neal or a Weber.

As for Quenneville, every time one of his guys takes a big illegal hit it’s the worst thing he’s ever seen. At least you can count on him for a hysterical quote I guess.. I suppose he’s just trying to rally his players, we’ll see if they come back angry.

• themohel - Apr 18, 2012 at 10:07 AM

You, sir, are an imbecile. You might need to seek a dictionary for that one, I guess.

• comeonnowguys - Apr 18, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Right, that comment just screams “guy who’s never cracked a dictionary.”

• davebabychreturns - Apr 18, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Would you care to take issue with a specific statement I made, or is petty name calling the height of discourse for you? Here let me cut things down to point form for you:

-They should’ve called a penalty on the hit.

-They will probably suspend Torres because
        -1. He has a track record as long as my arm
        -2. Nobody seems to like him all that much
        -3. People are clamoring for suspensions since the league failed to hold more notable players accountable for a number of serious transgressions

-I dislike Quenneville

There. Let me know what you disagree with and why and you’ll be most of the way the an actual comment!

• themohel - Apr 18, 2012 at 10:39 AM

“probably” should have been a penalty. “…league suspends Torres because it is easy…” You mention a penalty without specifying whether a 2, or a 5 and a game, or 5 and a match. I suspect you’d grudgingly give it a 2. A person who does not secretly like the hit (because of dislike for the team/coach?) says “I can’t believe that wasn’t a 5 and a match” and “the league should suspend him because it is the right thing to do (not because it is easy or to placate the masses).”

• davebabychreturns - Apr 18, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Well you can project whatever you want onto my comments to suit your needs I guess.

It probably should have been a penalty like I said, I’m not a god damned ref so I’m not going to sit here and say “they blew the call” when there are tons of late hits, tons of charges, tons of occurrences of players leaving their feet that go uncalled. The only surefire reason this should’ve got a penalty is the result (a guy leaving the game on a stretcher) but I was pretty sure we all agreed that you don’t penalize/suspend based on the result?

As for what penalty should have been called again who cares that I didn’t bother specifying? I’m not an official so my take on 2 vs 5 vs 5 and a game means sweet f all. I’m not particularly surprised they didn’t call any penalty and I wouldn’t have been particularly surprised if it was a major and a game misconduct – such is the state of officiating in the league these days. My gut says every time a guy needs help off the ice after an illegal hit it should probably be five and a game but then you’d be throwing players out for relatively clean hits all the time – and you’d have players acting like they’ve been shot because the stakes are now that much higher.

Say what you will the league is not going to suspend Raffi Torres because “it’s the right thing to do,” they’ve had half a dozen opportunities to suspend players because it was the right thing to do in the last month and they’ve passed up. If they suspend Raffi Torres it will be because it’s the easy thing to do.

And for the record, I don’t like Raffi Torres. I don’t like (most of) the Blackhawks either, but I do respect Marian Hossa – the guy’s a great player who plays the right way.

• michiganhockey11 - Apr 18, 2012 at 10:18 AM

I half expected Joel to go all Bobby Knight and throw some sticks or chairs onto the ice.

In all seriousness, the hit was dirty, the refs had their pants down on this one. Maybe that’s why the Michigan Tech Huskies pep band always played “three blind mice” whenever the refs took to the ice…

Can’t wait to see how/if Shanny uses common sense on this discipline. Or maybe he’ll continue throwing darts at the wall with rings of ‘# days’ suspension’ on them.

6. chiadam - Apr 18, 2012 at 10:09 AM

I love the NHL, but it’s a second-rate league. It wasn’t always but it is now.

• ron05342 - Apr 18, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Unfortunately, it has been more second-rate than it has not. I recall a long stretch in the 1990s where the refs would never call a third period penalty, for fear of “deciding the outcome of a game.” What bush league did that other than the NHL? Why would the rules change so dramatically from one period to the next?

Thankfully they corrected that issue after a few years. But it was self-evident there were problems in the league long before now.

7. sjsharks66 - Apr 18, 2012 at 10:18 AM

The Blackhawks are not the only team getting bogus refs. This whole first round has been a joke with refs.

• comeonnowguys - Apr 18, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Absolutely correct. I just want the awfulness to be consistent.

8. seahawkbias - Apr 18, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Bahahahaha! Seriously? Blackhawk coach screamimg about late , dirty hits and season ending cheap shots on a star player?
    Play back all of Quenville’s quotes from when his guy Duncan Keith charged over Sedin complete with a MMA elbow to Sedins jaw. All of it late and away from the puck.
    ***** Off Blackhawk fans. I agree this sucks and I hope Hossa is ok, but you just got what you had coming.
    Of all the coaches to bemoan this stupid “open season on stars” playoffs, the Blackhawks are the worst culprits having set the tone two weeks earlier.
    Thou shall reap what thou sow. Suck it.

• balewsquare - Apr 18, 2012 at 10:40 AM

How did Hawk fans get what they had coming? How does this have anything to do with how Keith elbowed somebody, somehow Blackhawks fans got bad karma, and THIS is the repayment? Color me unimpressed with your karma theory. Marian Hossa was seriously injured and taken off in a stretcher. That’s what’s concerning me.

• comeonnowguys - Apr 18, 2012 at 10:42 AM

1) Keith was penalized at the time it happend (should have been 5, but at least it was 2). Torres? Not so much.

2) Exactly one game before, the refs huddled around a flopping Mike Smith (say what you want about Daniel, but at least the guy lined up the next face off) as he waited for them to toss Shaw. Tippet played games with the injury report (100% Smith was a “game-time decision?”) to get a three game suspension.

So when the refs swallowed their whistles while Hossa was being carted off, the outrage over #1 continued to grow.

3) Daniel did go after Keith earlier in the game. Doesn’t make the elbow right, but compared to Hossa, where it came out of nowhere, the halo is slightly tarnished.

4) Keith has not been suspended multiple times for consistently egregious headshots and is not a trash player. (Thankfully we haven’t had to watch another trash player who sits on the Blackhawks IR)

5) How come open season only started two weeks ago? How about 1 years to the day yesterday when the same guy did the same thing to one of the Blackhawks stars?

There’s a whole lot of context to this thing, not just one dirty hit. Schmuck.

• pnkntndr - Apr 18, 2012 at 11:14 AM

I completely agree with you, brother. But there is one thing that you missed. Keith was out for 5 games.

You have to love these obvious Canuck fans who are butt-hurt about their pending sweep. Granted, I know that not all Canuck fans are like this. Every team has their douche fans. I love watching the Hawks and Canucks play. It’s always entertaining but MMA elbow… Really? What game were you watching? Although I did love watching Sedin sitting on the bench rubbing his glass jaw after that hit.

• themohel - Apr 18, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Given your (and many fans of the Canucks) even-handedness, I assume you think the Rome penalty was too light and the Canucks should have sat Torres for hitting Seabrook last year? That is what I thought….

• seahawkbias - Apr 18, 2012 at 12:50 PM

See below. Rome hit was cowardly and weak. Cost us the Series. We were up 2-0 and rolling until he woke up the Beast and we were done.

• hystoracle - Apr 18, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Why are we obsessed with last year? There is plenty to bi*** and moan about that is going on THIS season. Stop living in the past.. Canucks are 1 game from having their season end because Quick and Brown are playing out of their minds. They are getting beat by 2 guys and one of them is a goaltender who may be playing the best of any in the playoffs thus far. (though King Henry and Renne have been stellar as well). And all you have to talk about is something that happened a year ago. Don’t Canuck fans have torches and pitchforks to prepare for tonight’s postseason riot?

• ron05342 - Apr 18, 2012 at 1:32 PM

I think we will be hearing about the Keith elbow on Daniel Sedin from Canuck fans for years to come.

• comeonnowguys - Apr 18, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Toews stubs his toe at home running to answer the door…

Canucks fan: “THAT’S FOR DANIEL SEDIN! KARMA, BABY!”

9. chucksname - Apr 18, 2012 at 10:42 AM

The refs made Gary Bettman look bad on national TV in two countries. If he won’t clean up his league then NBC, who is paying huge sums for the rights, will force him. He was made president to do the TV deal in the US, and NBC can’t like what it’s seen the past week.

Torres violated every part of Rule 48, so he’s gone for a few… it’s your guess as to how many.

10. mgspike - Apr 18, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Call it what you want but MMA elbow is a fair critique of tat Keith elbow square to the jaw of a payer who didn’t have the puck. Complete douche move by Keith. You sir would have a glass jaw too if someone did that to you. Also, Douche move making fun of sedin for getting a concussion on that play. Douche.

11. hairpie - Apr 18, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Eliminate the instigator penalty and half these hits and diving will stop. Do you think players like the Sedins, Subban, Ribero, Torres, Neal etc would be flopping around trying to cheat their way to an undeserved call if there was a Probert, McSorley or Tony Twist waiting to jump on the ice next shift? Niether do i.

• seahawkbias - Apr 18, 2012 at 12:54 PM

This is exactly the problem in my opinion. I’ve watched live NHL games since the mid 70’s. There was never, ever this problem until the past few years. Suspened for fighting a “non-willing combatant?”. Are you serious? Here is how I know a guy is a willing combatant – he jacks up my team’s scorer. Now it is open season on the offender until we say we are done wailing on him.

Thats how Dad’s NHL was, and thats how we should be now. This “stop the instigator” penalties are asinine (that means foolish for you Blackhawk fans out there).

12. hsnepts - Apr 18, 2012 at 12:55 PM

I think they’re faking the Hossa injury to get an extended suspension. He’ll be back on his feet the moment the suspension is in.

btw, Im being facetious. just trying to sound like a hawks fan after the keith elbow.

• comeonnowguys - Apr 18, 2012 at 1:45 PM

The difference is the Hawks don’t have a widespread reputation for milking and diving. Whether you believe it or not, it’s there. Any initial doubt in the severity of Daniel’s injury was totally based on that.

Well that and AV coming out right away and saying “two weeks: concussion,” when most of the time the most you ever get in the 24 hours after an incident is “game to game with an upper body injury.”

Turns out not everything that walks and talks like a duck is a duck. And I don’t know of any Hawk fans happy that he does in fact have a brain injury. Then again, I don’t really want to know any.

13. sixshooter90 - Apr 18, 2012 at 4:05 PM

cry me a river hawks, sedin still isn’t playing. See u next year keith.

14. xaf605 - Apr 18, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Sedin sux and so do NHL refs these guys destroy games night in and night out they are complete disgraces to the black and white stripes

15. petermg57 - Apr 19, 2012 at 7:48 PM

The whole NHL officiating is nothing short of terrible,it is bad

Top 10 NHL Player Searches