Apr 18, 2012, 9:01 PM EDT
Earlier tonight, I wondered aloud how different last year’s Philadelphia Flyers playoff run might have been if Sergei Bobrovsky‘s struggles were handled with even half the patience that Ilya Bryzgalov has received in 2012. After allowing 17 goals in about 11 periods of hockey – including five through about 23 minutes tonight – Bryzgalov was pulled in favor of his lesser-paid Russian backup in the second period.
As you might expect, Bobrovsky isn’t going to change everything for Philly. In fact, he’s already allowed a puck to get by him, as Jordan Staal found the net on a power play to make it 6-3.
That being said, with the way this series has gone, he has a shot at winning the game if he’s perfect – or maybe just close to perfect – for the rest of the contest.
This brings up all kinds of interesting questions. If the Penguins end up winning but Bobrovsky keeps it respectable, should Bob be back in net for that theoretical Game 5? If the Flyers complete a dizzying fourth comeback, how much confidence can Philly really have in Bryzgalov going forward?
It’s a fascinating and developing situation to watch, so check it out on NBC Sports Network as we speak.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 11
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)