Apr 18, 2012, 9:01 PM EDT
Earlier tonight, I wondered aloud how different last year’s Philadelphia Flyers playoff run might have been if Sergei Bobrovsky‘s struggles were handled with even half the patience that Ilya Bryzgalov has received in 2012. After allowing 17 goals in about 11 periods of hockey – including five through about 23 minutes tonight – Bryzgalov was pulled in favor of his lesser-paid Russian backup in the second period.
As you might expect, Bobrovsky isn’t going to change everything for Philly. In fact, he’s already allowed a puck to get by him, as Jordan Staal found the net on a power play to make it 6-3.
That being said, with the way this series has gone, he has a shot at winning the game if he’s perfect – or maybe just close to perfect – for the rest of the contest.
This brings up all kinds of interesting questions. If the Penguins end up winning but Bobrovsky keeps it respectable, should Bob be back in net for that theoretical Game 5? If the Flyers complete a dizzying fourth comeback, how much confidence can Philly really have in Bryzgalov going forward?
It’s a fascinating and developing situation to watch, so check it out on NBC Sports Network as we speak.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 18
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 14
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)