Apr 18, 2012, 9:01 PM EST
Earlier tonight, I wondered aloud how different last year’s Philadelphia Flyers playoff run might have been if Sergei Bobrovsky‘s struggles were handled with even half the patience that Ilya Bryzgalov has received in 2012. After allowing 17 goals in about 11 periods of hockey – including five through about 23 minutes tonight – Bryzgalov was pulled in favor of his lesser-paid Russian backup in the second period.
As you might expect, Bobrovsky isn’t going to change everything for Philly. In fact, he’s already allowed a puck to get by him, as Jordan Staal found the net on a power play to make it 6-3.
That being said, with the way this series has gone, he has a shot at winning the game if he’s perfect – or maybe just close to perfect – for the rest of the contest.
This brings up all kinds of interesting questions. If the Penguins end up winning but Bobrovsky keeps it respectable, should Bob be back in net for that theoretical Game 5? If the Flyers complete a dizzying fourth comeback, how much confidence can Philly really have in Bryzgalov going forward?
It’s a fascinating and developing situation to watch, so check it out on NBC Sports Network as we speak.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)