Apr 18, 2012, 10:05 PM EDT
There’s still plenty of time for more mayhem and GAA-wrecking mischief, but no matter what, this year’s Pittsburgh Penguins-Philadelphia Flyers series is the stuff of NHL history. Here’s a look (based on an infographic from NBC Sports Network) at the most goals scored in the first four games of a playoff series in NHL history:
2011-12 Penguins vs. Flyers: 45 goals
1984-85 Oilers vs. Blackhawks: 44
1976-77 Kings vs. Bruins: 43
According to NBC’s Tom Layberger, this game also ties the Flyers’ franchise record for goals allowed in a single playoff game. Interestingly enough, the Penguins scored 10 goals against Philly on that night, too; Pittsburgh found the net 10 times on April 25, 1989 in the Patrick Division finals. That same game also set the (now-tied) mark for most Penguins goals scored in a single game.
Pens Radio Network reports that they tied a team record for goals scored in a period on the road (five) and the most unanswered goals they’ve scored in a playoff games with eight.
John Kreiser points out that the Penguins are the first road team to score 10 goals in the playoffs since April 17, 1983, when the Oilers crushed the Flames 10-2.
One can only imagine what other records might fall in the extremely likely scenario that these two teams meet in a Game 5 (and beyond?).
- Tortorella takes blame for top players’ struggles 6
- Discuss: Bruins finish off Rangers in Game 5 33
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 68
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 7
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 36
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 16
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 74
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 6
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona
- Play Video: Howard with a couple of tremendous saves in Game 5
- Play Video: Highlights: Bruins move onto Eastern Conference finals
- Play Video: Lundqvist takes one away from Lucic
- Play Video: Stepan's face takes a beating
- Play Video: Dorsett vs. Thornton
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on