Apr 18, 2012, 10:05 PM EDT
There’s still plenty of time for more mayhem and GAA-wrecking mischief, but no matter what, this year’s Pittsburgh Penguins-Philadelphia Flyers series is the stuff of NHL history. Here’s a look (based on an infographic from NBC Sports Network) at the most goals scored in the first four games of a playoff series in NHL history:
2011-12 Penguins vs. Flyers: 45 goals
1984-85 Oilers vs. Blackhawks: 44
1976-77 Kings vs. Bruins: 43
According to NBC’s Tom Layberger, this game also ties the Flyers’ franchise record for goals allowed in a single playoff game. Interestingly enough, the Penguins scored 10 goals against Philly on that night, too; Pittsburgh found the net 10 times on April 25, 1989 in the Patrick Division finals. That same game also set the (now-tied) mark for most Penguins goals scored in a single game.
Pens Radio Network reports that they tied a team record for goals scored in a period on the road (five) and the most unanswered goals they’ve scored in a playoff games with eight.
John Kreiser points out that the Penguins are the first road team to score 10 goals in the playoffs since April 17, 1983, when the Oilers crushed the Flames 10-2.
One can only imagine what other records might fall in the extremely likely scenario that these two teams meet in a Game 5 (and beyond?).
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 4
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 57
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 16
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 40
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 12
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 45
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (89)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (61)