Apr 18, 2012, 10:05 PM EDT
There’s still plenty of time for more mayhem and GAA-wrecking mischief, but no matter what, this year’s Pittsburgh Penguins-Philadelphia Flyers series is the stuff of NHL history. Here’s a look (based on an infographic from NBC Sports Network) at the most goals scored in the first four games of a playoff series in NHL history:
2011-12 Penguins vs. Flyers: 45 goals
1984-85 Oilers vs. Blackhawks: 44
1976-77 Kings vs. Bruins: 43
According to NBC’s Tom Layberger, this game also ties the Flyers’ franchise record for goals allowed in a single playoff game. Interestingly enough, the Penguins scored 10 goals against Philly on that night, too; Pittsburgh found the net 10 times on April 25, 1989 in the Patrick Division finals. That same game also set the (now-tied) mark for most Penguins goals scored in a single game.
Pens Radio Network reports that they tied a team record for goals scored in a period on the road (five) and the most unanswered goals they’ve scored in a playoff games with eight.
John Kreiser points out that the Penguins are the first road team to score 10 goals in the playoffs since April 17, 1983, when the Oilers crushed the Flames 10-2.
One can only imagine what other records might fall in the extremely likely scenario that these two teams meet in a Game 5 (and beyond?).
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (85)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)