Apr 18, 2012, 10:05 PM EDT
There’s still plenty of time for more mayhem and GAA-wrecking mischief, but no matter what, this year’s Pittsburgh Penguins-Philadelphia Flyers series is the stuff of NHL history. Here’s a look (based on an infographic from NBC Sports Network) at the most goals scored in the first four games of a playoff series in NHL history:
2011-12 Penguins vs. Flyers: 45 goals
1984-85 Oilers vs. Blackhawks: 44
1976-77 Kings vs. Bruins: 43
According to NBC’s Tom Layberger, this game also ties the Flyers’ franchise record for goals allowed in a single playoff game. Interestingly enough, the Penguins scored 10 goals against Philly on that night, too; Pittsburgh found the net 10 times on April 25, 1989 in the Patrick Division finals. That same game also set the (now-tied) mark for most Penguins goals scored in a single game.
Pens Radio Network reports that they tied a team record for goals scored in a period on the road (five) and the most unanswered goals they’ve scored in a playoff games with eight.
John Kreiser points out that the Penguins are the first road team to score 10 goals in the playoffs since April 17, 1983, when the Oilers crushed the Flames 10-2.
One can only imagine what other records might fall in the extremely likely scenario that these two teams meet in a Game 5 (and beyond?).
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 28
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 111
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 79
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (111)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (79)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)