Apr 18, 2012, 11:06 PM EDT
Perhaps allowing 20 goals in 10 periods messed with Marc-Andre Fleury‘s head. Yet after “shutting out” the Philadelphia Flyers for the remaining two periods and getting a much-needed 10-3 win for the Pittsburgh Penguins, it seems that “MAF” still has a sense of whimsy. Dave Molinari got this gem from Fleury after what might have been a confidence-boosting conclusion.
“It felt good to not give up 26 goals in one period,” Fleury said.
Now that would be a record.
In all seriousness, though, “The Flower” can be streaky at times. You may remember that people were briefly calling for his head early in the 2010-11 season when he was struggling mightily, only to roll out the plaudits when he helped Pittsburgh power its way to a playoff bid despite losing Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin.
With all that in mind, do you think Fleury could turn things around? Is it something that the Flyers should be concerned about?
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 13
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 42
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 33
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (67)