Apr 18, 2012, 4:26 PM EDT
If the Vancouver Canucks are going down, they’re going down at full strength.
That was the message from Los Angeles today as forward Daniel Sedin — out since Mar. 21 with a concussion — announced he’d be returning to the lineup for Wednesday’s decisive Game 4 against Los Angeles.
Question: Right at this point are you expecting to play today?
Sedin: Yeah. Absolutely.
Given Vancouver trails the best-of-seven series 3-0, there are concerns Sedin’s rushing back into action for a series that’s already lost (of the 168 NHL teams that have lost the first three games of a playoff series, 165 have gone on to lose.) But even in the face of such adversity, the Canucks are displaying a remarkable amount of faith in themselves.
Following Sunday’s 1-0 loss that pushed Vancouver to the brink of elimination, team captain Henrik Sedin was unusually confident about his club’s prospects.
“We worked their D,” he said of the Kings blueline. “They are starting to get tired. We are really working them hard in their end. It’s going to turn around.”
There’s also Daniel’s impending return and the eerie similarities it has to last year, when Chicago inserted Dave Bolland into the lineup after going down 0-3 to the Canucks. Bolland had been sidelined with a concussion for over a month prior to rejoining the ‘Hawks but was huge in his comeback game, scoring 1G-3A-4PTS in the first of Chicago’s three consecutive victories.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)