Apr 18, 2012, 4:26 PM EDT
If the Vancouver Canucks are going down, they’re going down at full strength.
That was the message from Los Angeles today as forward Daniel Sedin — out since Mar. 21 with a concussion — announced he’d be returning to the lineup for Wednesday’s decisive Game 4 against Los Angeles.
Question: Right at this point are you expecting to play today?
Sedin: Yeah. Absolutely.
Given Vancouver trails the best-of-seven series 3-0, there are concerns Sedin’s rushing back into action for a series that’s already lost (of the 168 NHL teams that have lost the first three games of a playoff series, 165 have gone on to lose.) But even in the face of such adversity, the Canucks are displaying a remarkable amount of faith in themselves.
Following Sunday’s 1-0 loss that pushed Vancouver to the brink of elimination, team captain Henrik Sedin was unusually confident about his club’s prospects.
“We worked their D,” he said of the Kings blueline. “They are starting to get tired. We are really working them hard in their end. It’s going to turn around.”
There’s also Daniel’s impending return and the eerie similarities it has to last year, when Chicago inserted Dave Bolland into the lineup after going down 0-3 to the Canucks. Bolland had been sidelined with a concussion for over a month prior to rejoining the ‘Hawks but was huge in his comeback game, scoring 1G-3A-4PTS in the first of Chicago’s three consecutive victories.
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 79
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32