Apr 18, 2012, 9:49 PM EDT
The Danny Briere phantom offside might be the most memorable missed offside of the playoffs so far, but Washington Capitals coach Dale Hunter will tell you that a pretty big one slipped by in Game 3 of his team’s series against the Boston Bruins. Stephen Whyno provides the story as well as a video example for your perusal:
Here’s video of the goal that eventually resulted:
Hunter must not be happy with the hand the Capitals are being dealt as Nicklas Backstrom has been suspended and this missed call happened. Here’s what he said about it.
“[Officials] do miss stuff,” Hunter said. “The other night, the winning goal was offside … Definitely offside. It was a bad call.”
Oh, and here’s a devious little nugget: Whyno points out that the same linesmen who called the game with the missed Briere offside was on hand for that one. Yikes.
With all that in mind, do you agree with Hunter? If so, is it time to get some tinfoil caps with red No. 8’s on them?
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 0
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 7
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 57
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (60)