Apr 18, 2012, 9:49 PM EST
The Danny Briere phantom offside might be the most memorable missed offside of the playoffs so far, but Washington Capitals coach Dale Hunter will tell you that a pretty big one slipped by in Game 3 of his team’s series against the Boston Bruins. Stephen Whyno provides the story as well as a video example for your perusal:
Here’s video of the goal that eventually resulted:
Hunter must not be happy with the hand the Capitals are being dealt as Nicklas Backstrom has been suspended and this missed call happened. Here’s what he said about it.
“[Officials] do miss stuff,” Hunter said. “The other night, the winning goal was offside … Definitely offside. It was a bad call.”
Oh, and here’s a devious little nugget: Whyno points out that the same linesmen who called the game with the missed Briere offside was on hand for that one. Yikes.
With all that in mind, do you agree with Hunter? If so, is it time to get some tinfoil caps with red No. 8′s on them?
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 16
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 4
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 21
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory (53)