Apr 18, 2012, 9:49 PM EDT
The Danny Briere phantom offside might be the most memorable missed offside of the playoffs so far, but Washington Capitals coach Dale Hunter will tell you that a pretty big one slipped by in Game 3 of his team’s series against the Boston Bruins. Stephen Whyno provides the story as well as a video example for your perusal:
Here’s video of the goal that eventually resulted:
Hunter must not be happy with the hand the Capitals are being dealt as Nicklas Backstrom has been suspended and this missed call happened. Here’s what he said about it.
“[Officials] do miss stuff,” Hunter said. “The other night, the winning goal was offside … Definitely offside. It was a bad call.”
Oh, and here’s a devious little nugget: Whyno points out that the same linesmen who called the game with the missed Briere offside was on hand for that one. Yikes.
With all that in mind, do you agree with Hunter? If so, is it time to get some tinfoil caps with red No. 8’s on them?
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 2
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 15
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 35
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 44
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)